Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmole once bubbled...
I thought ALL the suunto's sampled at 1 seconds intervals during the dive

Its just the logging software that you can change the rate on
Logging sample rate is 10 seconds - the actual dive stuff is hardwired to 1 second intervals.

sorry, that wasn't exactly what I meant to say. I am under the impression that the SAC rate is not recalculated every second and thus not "catching up" with you when you ascend and causing it to tell you that you have no air time left. Also, the temperature doesn't update every second, I think we can all agree of that, right? And the Suunto RGBM figures temperature in with everything else, right so even though many factors are updated almost constantly, these other factors don't and do play a part in the overall decompression model.

jamiei once bubbled...
sorry, that wasn't exactly what I meant to say. I am under the impression that the SAC rate is not recalculated every second and thus not "catching up" with you when you ascend and causing it to tell you that you have no air time left.
Which is what makes it a dud feature - it is not accurate enough. It's worse than not having the feature, because it can be grossly inaccurate.

RTFM.

Its in there - seriously :)

Drastic increases in consumption are deducted almost immediately.

Dramatic decreases in consumption are added back SLOWLY over 30-60 seconds.

All consumption parameters are computed leaving you a 500 psi reserve. If your consumption is extraordinarily high, the computer will shift the reserve upward as far as 725 PSI (since you'll probably need it!)

In NDL diving this is a pretty good deal, in that provided you plan to get to the safety stop before the time gets to zero, you're cool to make that 3 minute safety stop for most folks.

There is also a 700 psi alarm, and a second one you can set anywhere between about 300 and 2000 psi. The latter makes a pretty nice "thirds" alarm for those times you want to dive on the basis of thirds.

Well a 2000psi upper limit on an air alarm is going to suck with the new PST E tanks - thirds of 3442 is 2294. Guess the same thing applies for current HP tanks.

But we don't need no stinkin computer to tell us when we've reached thirds, right? :)

I'm also pretty certain that Suunto do not use temperature in the RGBM calculations. In Scadinavia they all dive in dry suits, so the temperature of the water and the diver bear no resemblance

Someone should tell Uwatec about drysuits, as they do penalise you for being toasty warm in a dry suit if the waters cold

upper limit is 200 bar, which converted to PSI is about ~2900.

More than good enough for the new HP tanks.

madmole once bubbled...
Someone should tell Uwatec about drysuits, as they do penalise you for being toasty warm in a dry suit if the waters cold

Don't agree with that Mad. Whether drysuit or not, coldwater means more weight, bulkier eco protection and generally just more work.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom