Wakatobi trip report, 7/5-7/27/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am on my way back from Wakatobi after a really excellent dive trip. I thought that I would post a few details here. I went with my wife and son, and we were there for 17 days. We were in Wakatobi last December for a 7-day stay, and that left us wanting more. We are very glad we could arrange for a longer stay this time.

We left Baton Rouge on July 5, went to L.A., and caught the direct flight to Singapore on Singapore Airlines. We arrived in Bali on the 7th, and stayed overnight at the Patra Bali hotel near the airport (nice, but expensive). We left the next morning for Wakatobi, but the flight was delayed until about 1pm. So we arrived at the resort in the late afternoon, and could not get in our first dive until the 9th. A little disappointing, but not a big deal, as we were going to be staying for a while. We usually did both morning dives and the afternoon dive. We skipped the night dives, as well as a couple of the afternoon dives. The weather was excellent. We got a few drops of rain one day, and it rained another night, but that was it. The weather was ~78-85 F during the day, and comfortable at night. Clear skies and calm seas. This is in stark contrast to late December, when we did not see the sun, but got a lot of liquid sunshine. The water was a little cooler in July, typically 79 F, which was a little cool for me in a 3mm full wetsuit. I think I would opt for a 5mm wetsuit, given the choice. The visibility was good, but not as good as in December. Typically, we had about 50-70 ft visibility. This was fine for enjoying the excellent reefs. Some sites had better visibility (such as Blade, fortunately), but there were no real complaints about the conditions. There was only one dive with any significant current, the house reef. This can be calm or have a strong current. We dove it both ways during this trip. Again, no problems at all. Our favorite dive sites were probably Pastel and Magnifica for the beautiful and lush reefs with loads of soft coral. The Zoo and Roma were great for macro. Actually, all of the dive sites had both great macro and "wide-angle" aspects. Blade was a beautiful site with a long ridge with three pinnacles. The pinnacle with the mooring was quite shallow (~20 feet), and was wonderful. Most of the dive sites had the lushest soft and leather corals at the shallower depths (15-35 feet), and other pretty and interesting features deeper (sea fans, gorgonians, barrel sponges, more nudibranchs, different kinds of fish, turtles, etc.) My favorite parts of most dives was the shallow stuff, but it was great having both in a single dive. Most of the boat rides were 10-20 minutes in length. An exception was blade, which was a 50 minute ride. Well worth it, no complaints.

The accommodations were very nice, and the dive operation was first rate. Some people who have posted messages on Scubaboard felt that Wakatobi is too restrictive about limiting dives to 70 minutes (and about having to follow the dive guide). I am not so critical of the time restriction, as they are trying to maintain a schedule, and I am fine with a 70 minute dive. I guess that this is a matter of personal opinion. With respect to following the dive guide, that was fine with us, because we appreciated having the dive guide as a spotter. Our dive guide was C.J., and she was an excellent spotter, and very helpful in every way. I liked all of the dives guides that we had (a couple of others substituted on her days off). With respect to the restrictions about diving as a group, it was not unreasonable as you really just had to be within sight of the dive guide. If you find this too restrictive, and you like to explore on your own, the house reef is available from 6am-5:30pm for diving with a buddy (or solo, if you are certified as a solo diver).

The dive boats are very nice and spacious. The staff carries your dive gear out to the boat each morning and sets it up (if you wish, which we did). They also carry your stuff out to the storage area when you are done diving for the day. Very nice. There is a good camera room which is air conditioned and dry. There are many charging stations.

Many people rave about the food. I think that it is fine, but nothing memorable. I loved the trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat. The reefs are healthy. The whole experience is geared towards making the diving fun and easy. It is not cheap, and it is a long way. That said, it is worth it. I took a ton of pictures, and am still editing and culling them. Here is what I have posted so far on Flickr, if you want to have a look. 2008 Wakatobi - a set on Flickr

Thanks for the report - I'll be there on November 7th. Was Singapore Airlines as nice as "they" say - we are flying coach but I understand that their coach is comparatively nice. Did you happen to utilize the "in airport" hotel in Singapore? We have an 8 hour layover there on the return and have booked a room for 6 hours.
Regards
Pete

Singapore is that good.

Even in Coach they have Video On demand, knock off a few movies (you can stop and start them as you like)and you are half way there.

At Singapore In terminal 2, there is a koi (fish) pond in a Orchid Garden, indoor at one end of the terminal there are shops and restaurants off all types most open late, some 24 hr. there wifi hot spots for free internet as well as free internet computer terminals all over the place including in the departure lounges (upstairs across fromthe burger king, there are terminals and X-Box machines.

Its a great airport. Terminal 3 just opened and from the photos it looks fantastic.

in Singapore airport , there are several strategically placed Transit counter areas and it is worth going to one of them, even if you have an assigned seat for your next flight to see if you can get one with more leg room. Certain seats (like rows with thing on the wall to attach baby cribs to) may be held until the last minute to see if anyone with a baby needs them, if not anyone can them and the seats usually have more room. So ask.

There is even a swimming pool at terminal one open in the day time. Also some terminals have free entertainment. All three terminals are connecting by a people mover (Little train) or covered walkway, so you will have lots to explore,.

The DFS (duty free shoppers) stores often have free samples of liqueurs.

Terminal two upstairs by the "Movie theatre" (actually a darkened room with cinema seats and a big screen tv showing movies off satellite TV) is a roof top sunflower garden with a spot for cigarette smokers. You will often find the airport staff there taking a break

There is a brand new big full fledged Hotel connected to Terminal 3 and are the small Ambassador transit hotels in each terminal ( Ambassador Transit Hotel )where you rent a small room for X hours, minimum is six hours. they have standard rooms for one to three people (for one person it's about Sing$73 or US$54) with attached bathroom (all three terminals), and cheaper budget rooms without attached bathrooms (terminals 1 & 2),

Last edited:
I had recently found your photos on Flickr - in my opinion, the best group of photos from Wakatobi! My husband and I are thinking of going in 2009 fall or early winter, and are wondering when would be better weather. Do the currents depend on time of year as well?

If the weather is "normal" (do we have that any more?), the window for best weather may diminish after early-mid-December. Though in 2007, it barely rained all the way through the December-February "rainy" season. The roughly six-foot tidal range will probably be roughly six feet, regardless of the month ... though it will peak at new/full moon. October/November is great if your schedule allows it.

I had recently found your photos on Flickr - in my opinion, the best group of photos from Wakatobi! My husband and I are thinking of going in 2009 fall or early winter, and are wondering when would be better weather. Do the currents depend on time of year as well?

Thanks for the nice comments about the photos. I love doing it. There are a LOT of really great photographers out there. It is pretty humbling to look at a lot of the work that is out there. Anyway, to answer your question, I think that Highdesert is probably correct. We have not been there when you are thinking of, but I would recommend against the December-February/March time frame if your schedule allows for it> We were there over New Years (2008), and the weather was pretty rainy, and I live in Louisiana, so just consider that as your point of reference. I have heard that this rainy season usually lasts for a couple of months. With that said, it was still great being there even with the bad weather. The diving was still excellent. Do check out the water temperatures so you can gauge what you should wear. The advice of the folks at Wakatobi generally is too conservative (many wear 7mm full wetsuits with hoods with 79F water temps), as they are so acclimated to warm water. However, the water temperature does vary seasonally, so that is something to plan for.

Hope this helps,
Erwin

Thanks for the report - I'll be there on November 7th. Was Singapore Airlines as nice as "they" say - we are flying coach but I understand that their coach is comparatively nice. Did you happen to utilize the "in airport" hotel in Singapore? We have an 8 hour layover there on the return and have booked a room for 6 hours.
Regards
Pete

Hi Pete,

We flew business class from L.A. to Singapore, It is spectacular (food, service, amenities, etc.). They only offer business class on that direct flight. On their other flights, I have heard that the service and amenities rivals first class on many domestic airlines. The Changi airport is Singapore is also wonderful. The new Terminal 3 just opened this year, and it is incredible. We stayed in the Air Singapore lounges (Terminal 2 on the departure, and Terminal 3 for the return), and both were great. So yes, Air Sinapore is what it is cracked up to be IMO.

Hope that this helps.
Erwin

Thanks for the replies about Singapore Airlines - especially all the info about the terminal. It will make the journey much more enjoyable.
Regards
Pete

Generally your checked bags will be shipped thru to your destination which means that you want have access them to in Singapore so make you have what you need for the airport stay in your carry on.

If you need to make any local telephone calls to Singapore from the Singapore Airport there are phones that let you make free calls anywhere in Singapore located on the walls at the airport.

Also if you are flying from US or Canada to Indonesia and not making any stops other than the required ones and are one one ticket (or in case of Singapore & Silk Air, a combined ticket, Sing Air is owner of Silk Air) then you would be considered to be on a continuous journey you should be getting a checked luggage allowance based on the Piece Concept (PC) which at least for Singapore airlines/Silk Air combination was two bags of at least 50 pounds (maybe more, I was getting up to 70 pounds last year on Sing Air and Silk from US on each of two bags) each. It should say PC on your ticket

If your ticket says 20KG or something like that (30KG for Business class etc) it is called the Weight Concept (WC), then you are limited to 20 kilograms total for all your checked luggage.

For complete Silk Air baggage info (including a description of PC and WC) see Silk Air web site at
SilkAir : where the world unwinds

For those with Weight Concept baggage allowance on Silk Air : A 10 kg excess baggage allowance is extended for customers with diving equipment traveling to Cebu, Davao, Langkawi, Lombok, Phuket and Manado.

This is info is on a obscure part of the web site and was not easy to find, you may want to print out the page just in case someone checking your luggage is NOT familiar with regulation.

Some other airlines do offer extra weight allowances be sure to ask.

Last edited:
Pete,

I have stayed at the Airport hotel (ambassador transit hotel) in terminal two three times with a fourth time coming up. It works, nothing fancy but quiet and you will get a few hours of sleep. I have not been to terminal three yet as they opened the day after I left in January. I assume you are catching the Singapore AM flight to Bali. You will find Singapore Airlines to be the best....if you have a chance to fly in the front with some upgrade miles....The only way to Fly!!

Although I did not have as good of a trip to Wakatobi as edpdiver (my trip report is posted Oct 07), I loved the operation, DM's, Boats, food etc....have fun.

Back
Top Bottom