Want to buy older but reliable dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just getting back into diving, my Oceanic Data Max bottom timer is seriously outdated and I want to replace with a dive computer. Something used, older, but reliable. Something like a Uwatec Smart Com, or Oceanic Pro Plus 2, or maybe something like a VEO 1.0; you get the picture. Would like something newer and full featured, but I just don't have too much to spend so will settle for older and reliable; open to suggestions.

Thanks,
amoses

Last edited:
I don't understand what you think is outdated about your Oceanic Data Max. I'm pretty sure the Oceanic N2 algorithm is the same as new Oceanic computers.

I would go with a nitek he, you can get them for around 300 and it. Is a 7 gas full Trimix computer. It is something you won't outgrow when you go to the next level

I don't understand what you think is outdated about your Oceanic Data Max. I'm pretty sure the Oceanic N2 algorithm is the same as new Oceanic computers.

It is just a bottom timer. It say's data max II on it. I bought it in 1987. I believe it was one of their first attempts at digital underwater timers. Another similar gauge at the time was the "Black Max" which was quite popular at that time.

I was afraid that might be the case - lots of devices with the name Oceanic data max.

I have had fairly good luck with used Oceanic computers. If you go for nitrox, Oceanic did make an update in their O2 algorithm between the data plus and the VEO 200 models that made it a bit more liberal on cumulative O2.

I have an air integrated aeries atmos 500 AI model with compass. $200 + USPS. Battery was replaced last summer before our Bonaire trip. I bought my wife a new computer for her birthday so this one is going up for sale.

My Oceanic Veo 200 is pretty liberal compared to others I've dived with. I just bought a VT4 AI which has user selectable algorithm models and conservative/liberal mode so I'll get a direct comparison using the VEO as back-up.

I have a practically new Oceanic Veo that I am looking to sell. It's a great computer that I purchased as a backup but have now moved to a veo 180 as my backup. If interested send me a PM. It is a puck to inserted into a console but I could sell it with the hosemount that I have been using it in easily. Very few dives on it and it is in great condition.

I just purchased an Oceanic Data Pro 2, with a quick disconnect. I really liked the large #rs - eyes aren't so good any more :). If I don't like it, then I will get back in touch with those of you that had things for sale and I will try something else. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom