Warm water wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you two diving in a hot tub? :shocked2:

Yes....I know....I made a booboo. Sometimes I get mixed up trying to keep all the numbers and units right for you folks :)

I wear at least 3 mm pants. In the warm months there I use a 1.5 mm hooded top. With the 3 mm long pants, it keeps my core warm. I'd freeze in a shortie. Hawaii is the coldest water I've ever dived in. WW wuss for sure….and proud of it. dammit…:D

Yes....I know....I made a booboo. Sometimes I get mixed up trying to keep all the numbers and units right for you folks :)

I feel for you and by no means was I making fun of you.
I actually grew up using Celsius, but when I moved to the US I quickly learned the imperial system to the point that I now only use Metric when trying to convert depth to atm.

It depends first on your cold tolerance and then on where and how long you will dive. Personally I use a 3mm full which is generally warm enough. I did notice on the last dive of a multiple dive trip that I was getting a little chilled after being under for around 60 minutes. We were shallow that dive and our DM let us continue the dive until we used up most of our air. I do carry a 3 mm vest for layering for night dives. If you are on Maui or any of the other islands and do Molokini Crater or an open water dive off shore then temperatures will be colder. Also, the longer you are in the water the more you will feel the chill. For the latter you want a warm wetsuit not because the water itself is that uncomfortable but to conserve heat as your bottom time adds up. BTW my daughter uses a 7 mm full but is rather petite and gets cold easily.

Some call them Skins...........:)........& if in doubt, bring both........

A "body suit"/ rash guard/skin suit, whatever you call it should be full length for jellyfish/scrapes, etc. (and of course reef gloves). These suits don't take up much room packing as pointed out. Is there a pool around where you could try it out for a while in 77F water? If not, you'll have to bring both that and a thicker (3 mil?) suit. I did 10 dives in 5 days in Panama at 76F with body suit-- not a hint of cold (I'm not really sure why what you do today would affect how cold you are tomorrow, but I guess it is the case). I use a shorty at 65F or at times less if the air is hot. You just have to figure what your cold tolerance is. No one can really advise you what thickness to wear.

A I did 10 dives in 5 days in Panama at 76F with body suit-- not a hint of cold (I'm not really sure why what you do today would affect how cold you are tomorrow, but I guess it is the case).

Yep. That's a good choice….for polar bears and Canadians…..:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom