Water getting into the nose section of my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't agree more! If I have a little stubble going...I get a really small but VERY annoying bit of water in there.
I had an issue once where it was just stubble from not shaving that cause an aggravating slow leak from under the nose. Now I keep a razor in the dive bag and use it as part of me suit up procedure.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think part of it may have been from having the strap too low. Is there an ideal location for putting the strap? Should it be above the ears, etc?

One of the best things I've ever bought was something like this National Geographic Mask Strap Neoprene, Complete

It's so much easier to don and doff, doesn't need to be that tight as the load is very evenly spread unlike some dive mask straps that bunches up and causes uneven tension.

Anyway, the strap should be over the ears and spread evenly across the back of the head.

As someone else said, the strap goes around the "thickest" part of your head (lol). I feel your pain. I have 6 masks. 2 of them fit perfectly (same mask but one is prescription). I guess my face is a funny shape (actually I'm sure of it :). Masks that seem to fit fine in the shop will decide to start leaking. Trial and error seems to work best for me.my straps are set very loose compared to what one would think necessary. It just holds it in position and the water pressure does the work. I have a full beard but when I go on a dive trip I trim it down below my nose just to be careful. Fortunately my local dive shop has let me swap masks till I found the perfect fit (the other 4 masks are why this is now my local dive shop).

Double-check to make sure you're NOT exhaling through your nose.......I have this problem, quite often actually, and have to consciously think of breathing out through my mouth......usually solves the problem (at least mine)

You can also try putting a small amount of vaseline under your nose where the mask rests. Might help form a better seal.

I prefer chap-stick. Having a tub of vaseline in my dry bag could get me some funny looks :wink:

Ditto on the close shave bit! I keep a cheap electric razor with me so i can clean up before dives.

I have a moustache and beard...my mask ALWAYS leaks. What does it matter? You carry an air tank on your back, just breathe out thru your nose and clear your mask. The strap is not to keep your mask from leaking, it is to keep your mask from falling off your face. I use Sea Drops, my mask almost never fogs and I have to clear my mask every few breaths. Having to shave my 'stache would irritate me more than a leaky mask does.

I have a moustache and beard...my mask ALWAYS leaks. What does it matter? You carry an air tank on your back, just breathe out thru your nose and clear your mask. The strap is not to keep your mask from leaking, it is to keep your mask from falling off your face. I use Sea Drops, my mask almost never fogs and I have to clear my mask every few breaths. Having to shave my 'stache would irritate me more than a leaky mask does.

having to clear your mask more times than usual can increase your air consumption and shorten your dives. If you normally take 8 breaths a minute underwater, but because your mask leaks you are taking 9 1/2 due to clearing it, then your dives become that much shorter . You could breathe out your nose all the time, and I do that, but even though i've tried to synchronize my mask filling up and my exhalations, it never quite works lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom