Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd suggest also considering the comfort of the diver. given the same buoyancy characteristics (water, tank, bcd, suit) over time, the same diver is likely to reduce the amount of weight he uses as his comfort level increases. So you should expect that once you "get it" and you feel you are weighted properly, there may be a time when you can reduce the amount of weight that you use.

I'd suggest also considering the comfort of the diver. given the same buoyancy characteristics (water, tank, bcd, suit) over time, the same diver is likely to reduce the amount of weight he uses as his comfort level increases. So you should expect that once you "get it" and you feel you are weighted properly, there may be a time when you can reduce the amount of weight that you use.

Yes, once comfortable and breathing relaxes you often find you can again drop a pound or two.

So, to directly compare to the OP, your total "weighting" is about 20+ lbs, correct? Weight on belt with AL80 and the weight of the SS backplate = 20.5 lbs. Not too far off the OP's, although the OP was in a 5mm and you in a 7mm.

Thanks for putting up with my "inquiries". One of my pet peeves on SB is when we all talk about weighting and make those comparisons without putting out all the info.

Bill

Griff has given a great guideline to follow, but remember that individuals vary greatly in body type, percentage of fat, lung capacity, type og gear worn, age of wetsuit and how much buoyancy it may have lost, and other variables. He encourages a buoyancy check, and to it i would add, your tank will be lighter at the end of a dive, so account for that by doing your check with a tank that has 1/3 fill or less in it, or else adding a pound or two to what you would otherwise use. That's what his "tank type section" is all about.
DivemasterDennis

For saltwater you just add 6lbs vs. freshwater. There are at least two threads on this topic running. Is weighting that difficult, or are folks bored?

So, to directly compare to the OP, your total "weighting" is about 20+ lbs, correct? Weight on belt with AL80 and the weight of the SS backplate = 20.5 lbs. Not too far off the OP's, although the OP was in a 5mm and you in a 7mm.

Thanks for putting up with my "inquiries". One of my pet peeves on SB is when we all talk about weighting and make those comparisons without putting out all the info.

Bill

No problem Bill.

But unless Im missing something, which is always possible, I do not see my weighting as being similar to the Op. If I read correctly he states he wears 6-8lbs in a 2.5mm.

Just to clarify: (My weightings in my gear (salt water))

In a one piece 5mm with AL plate (-1.8lbs) and 6lbs on a weight belt, when using an AL80 tank total weight is around 8lbs. If using steel tank (-4lbs) My weight would drop by and to around 4lbs. Using either tank this is still significantly less than "...people using 20+ lbs with 5 mil suits". As I said they must being wearing rather buoyant BCs, or have different body type or are just simply overweighted.

In a two piece 7mm FJ with hood, steel tank, SS plate (-5.5lbs) and 11lbs on weight belt, total around 16lbs. If using AL80 tank (+4lbs) total weight becomes around 20.5 lbs. ( I do not dive AL tanks when diving locally).

To the Op as I said do a proper weight check with the gear you use and you'll be fine, anything here is only guess work, not ideal when it comes to weighting. Any time you change gear e.g tank, suit you should do another proper weight check. Good luck.

Or as RonFrank has posted add around 6lbs if going from fresh to salt and you should be in the ball park.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Buddhasummer,

Darn, my reading comprehension skills have bit me once again. I completely miss-read the OP. I fixated on "I'm reading a lot about people using 20+ lbs with 5 mil suits in saltwater." and somehow read the OP was questioning his use of that amount of weight.

My apologies Buddhasummer. You did in fact answer the question with a direct comparison. Again my apologies.

Bill

Buddhasummer,

Darn, my reading comprehension skills have bit me once again. I completely miss-read the OP. I fixated on "I'm reading a lot about people using 20+ lbs with 5 mil suits in saltwater." and somehow read the OP was questioning his use of that amount of weight.

My apologies Buddhasummer. You did in fact answer the question with a direct comparison. Again my apologies.

Bill

Thank you Bill but no need to apologise, I've made the same mistake myself a few times.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom