Wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since no one has opined on how long a wet suit lasts, let me suggest that the answer is "it depends." Wet suit life depends on number of hours in salt water, number of hours in fresh water, and how well you clean it after use, and how you store it after use. With each use, the neoprene will break down a little, and become less effective as a heat loss shield. You can slow that process by a thorough cleaning after use with any of the products available for that purpose, and by storing in a cool dark place. Heat and sunlight also break down the neoprene. However, even with proper care, your wet suit will become less and less efficient. I have found that about 200 hours in salt water results in an easily noticeable loss of thermal effectiveness. For lesser quality products that number be be lower. Even a casually used wet suit will break down with time, but can last for 5 years or more if properly cleaned and stored. I learned here on scubaboard that after thorough drying it ist is better to roll the suit for storage than to hang it. That has proven to be a really good tip to preserve the effective life of a wet suit even more.
I have never purchased a used wet suit for myself or my wife, because it cannot be know how it was cared for or stored. Even a "like new" wet suit that has been stored with ocean water residue permeating it, or hanging where the sun hits it, will not last as long as it should if properly cared for. SO think carefully when buying a wet suit, because the real value will be "cost per dive" the suit will give you, not just the starting price .
DivemasterDennis

My wetsuits last about 5-7years.

Mine tend to wear from:
1. Damage from rocks, mussels, sea urchins, sharp objects in back of vehicle, and taking it on an off.
2. Compression from depth or storage.
3. Creases from folding or bending.

Research the model and prices. Ask when they will have a sale. Many shops will drop the price to get a sale today. So the new model can be purchased for less. Before buying go to a few shops and try on wetsuits to see which one fits the best. Research that model and deal for the best price. Do not get stuck on this model until trying on other wetsuits.

That suit is 290.00 on Leisure Pro (how does that compare with your LDS pricing?). 50.00 off that expensive a suit isn't a savings at all.

Thin wetsuits wear quicker too. I've been told it's really hard to glue the thin material.
Brands make a difference. I have a 3.5 and a 1.5 and both have worm faster than any other I've had over the years. The seat in my 1.5 is now transparent and it only has maybe 200 hours in the water.
How careful you are getting on and off boats is a factor. Leaving a wetsuit on and sitting on wood seats with a rocking boat wears them out.
But rather than how long do they last in years, I would measure it in hours on your body with the above factors thrown into the calculation.

My 7mm pinnacle polar has been in salt water generally about once or twice a week for the last two years. It tends to be pretty hard diving I do, alot of scrambling down cliffs, over rocks e.t.c. In all that time it has maybe had one or two rinses in fresh water, mostly I go dive them leave it in my car boot till the next dive. It dosent get the best care is what i am saying :D

In terms of wear ive noticed the following things after 2 years of hard use and non-existent maintenance:
  • There are some small holes in the crotch caused by the clasp of the crotch strap on my ABLJ rubbing the suit. I Put some black witch on these holes and they are now sealed up again good as new
  • The suit has knee pads which are peeling away a bit, i used some black witch to glue the edges of the knee pads back down and they are good as new again.
  • The seams on the forearms are a little worn, i have put some black witch on the seams to protect the thread so again this is now good as new again
  • One side of the end of the zip has come a bit loose, this dosent affect the suit sealing up so i haven't done anything about it, at some point ill maybe black witch this just to stop it hanging when im getting into the suit.
  • some of the pads that where glued along the inside seams are coming a little lose. A little black witch on these and they glue back down good as new

Overall the suit looks a little patchy in places but it still performs as good as it did when it was brand new and has actually gotten tougher in places from the black witch :D

I also have a 3mm 2 peice that is now 12 years old and still is in excellent shape, i have put a wee bit of black witch on some of the seams on the cuff but apart from that its still in pretty much perfect condition.

Given a needle, thread and some black witch ive found you can keep a wetsuit going forever :D

They sell them new for 249 and I can get a rental for 189. But after reading this I'am going to spend the extra money and get a new one.

That suit is 290.00 on Leisure Pro (how does that compare with your LDS pricing?). 50.00 off that expensive a suit isn't a savings at all.

They sell them new for 249 and I can get a rental for 189. But after reading this I'am going to spend the extra money and get a new one.
Good choice. The only gear I won't buy used is a wet suit... My 4/3 suit has lasted about 10 years and several hundred hours so far (primarily surfing until the last year) and is still warmer than my brand new 3mm hyperstretch.

Back
Top Bottom