What brand watch do you wear on land?

What brand of watch do you wear on land?

• Bell & Ross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breitling

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Casio

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Citizen

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • Rolex

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • Omega

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Seiko

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Suunto

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Timex

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Tag Heuer

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • Luminox

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Fossil

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 9.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I LOVE watches that claims to be water resistant to 100m.

That's way over 300 feet. My watch better #%$&% well be water PROOF if its at 300 feet.

That wins my award as the most useless statistic on a watch.

K
...and I sure don't plan to test it :wink:

...but today I ordered a new Timex runners watch that is FM coupled to a GPS receiver that you wear on your arm while you run, to keep track of distance and pace and such.

The timex will become my daily wear watch, and my old Casio will go into the dive bag to wear over the cuff of my drysuit if I can rig a band big enough....

The Timex is supposed to be good to 50 meters, the Casio, good to 100 meters. I'll try not to check the Timex any time soon...

I wear it in and out the water. Automaticaly starts up when I get in and then starts the SI when I get out keep temp and avg depth. Can be D/l to pc easer to get basic dive details than my Vyper or Cobra computer.

Geek

My everyday timepiece is an Omega Seamaster 300 M Chrono Diver, steel on steel. And even though it's rated to 300 meters, and has a release valve for prolonged helium exposure at depth (so the crystal doesn't blow off when decompressing inside a diving bell), I've never dove with it - just like the convention guys.

hey GearHead, do you know if the Citizen watches have this valve as well? Or am I going to find out the hard way the first time I hop in a sat bell? I looked through my owners manual and it made no mention of it. Maybe I should call Citizen eh?

You forgot the winking smiley, SCORE! :wink: I assume your post was tongue-in-cheek, no?

Well, the Chrono is definitely an "over the top" design idea bordering on silly. I mean, yes, there are commercial divers that spend days and days at hundreds of fsw living inside a helium-mixed-gas supplied diving bell between dives. Of the handful of those guys, there may be a couple using this watch, but I seriously doubt it. I think Omega could have made it without the valve and not one person would have cared.

What I like about it is that it's huge, durable, accurate, has a perpetual motion and chronometer, and looks good IMHO.

Here's a link:
Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver

Does it make me pretentious because I don't dive with it? Probably. :wink:

But to answer your question, yes, I think you should call Citizen and start screaming for a d***ed Helium Escape Valve!!! :D

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...

hey GearHead, do you know if the Citizen watches have this valve as well? Or am I going to find out the hard way the first time I hop in a sat bell? I looked through my owners manual and it made no mention of it. Maybe I should call Citizen eh?

Here's what Omega has to say about the Helium Escape Valve in their FAQ:

What is the function of the helium escape valve on the Seamaster Professional watches?

The helium escape valve was specially developed by Omega for use by professional divers. During deep-sea dives lasting several days, divers operate from diving bells. Prior to surfacing, these bells are filled with a mixture of helium and oxygen. The helium molecules are lighter than air and can therefore penetrate the watch in sufficient quantity to push out the crystal at atmospheric pressure levels. This can be avoided by opening the valve during resurfacing, which allows the helium to escape but prevents water from entering the watch.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I LOVE watches that claims to be water resistant to 100m.

That's way over 300 feet. My watch better #%$&% well be water PROOF if its at 300 feet.

That wins my award as the most useless statistic on a watch.

K

The reason they say a watch is water RESISTANT and not PROOF is because manufacturers can't absolutely for sure guarantee waterproof-ness. The FTC Guides for the Watch Industry are the people who developed this law. It comes from advertising and the use of the term waterproof. Too many companies said their watches were waterproof. Someone cried "foul" and now we have a law making the term illegal.

And, no matter what, at some depth point, you watch will no longer keep the deep out. So, it is only water resistant.

a daily basis. Steel fabrication shop isn't real forgiving.

Stinger in the water now, but for years, a $35 Armitron with a one way rotaing bezel and (UP would be proud!) TABLES!!:confused:

Fossil x 2. I won the first one in a contest at my old job. My first dive after I got certified was to 50 ft and it leaked. Not a problem, they have a 11yr warranty so I mailed it into them and they gave me a monetary value of the watch and told me to go to my local Fossil dealer to pick out the style I wanted. They then sent it to me along with my bad one. I then took the one that leaked to a local watch repair shop and they dried it out for $6. It works just fine now, although I haven'ttaken it back in the water.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom