What c-card do you show on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HA - HA Impressive :D
pakman:
That's because you like to impress the girls on the boat... j/k Jason!:eyebrow:

Sorry if I'm being a spoil sport...but, if you show your lowest card just to avoid liability issues and get brought into a lawsuit anyway and someone recalls that you showed only your lowest card, you are in for some serious browbeating unless you have some other good reason for not hving shown a higher card. ... "Isn't it true that you knew that showing a DM card might require you to exercise more care and skill that you felt like exercising?" Or "Isn't it true that you showed a lower card just to avoid being in this situation?"

I'm about to PM NetDoc to ask the status of my article.

BCNU
Bruce

I know that when I have a DM/Ins on the boat I don't ask them to do anything I wouldn't ask any other customer to do.

I don't check their gear, or quiz them etc.

Anytime I've shown my Instructor cards I've been landed with babysitting.
Now I just show my Adv. Nitrox card, it gets me Nitrox, and also shows that I've done rescue skills.

Goodness, I didn't know I was going to open up such a can of worms, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has at least put some thought into this issue.

ItsBruce:
<snip>... you are in for some serious browbeating unless you have some other good reason for not hving shown a higher card. ... <snip>
It's been my experience, having been dragged into court as a witness several times, that you're in for a serious browbeating no matter what you've done...

<snip> Or "Isn't it true that you showed a lower card just to avoid being in this situation?" <snip>
I'd answer honestly and say yes.

All the best, James

Depends on who is asking. Sometimes I do not mind helping out if it gets me a free ride or lets me solo on other dives. I'm going for DM and my instructor/shop owner/ boss wrote me a letter detailing my qualifications to the resort so I could get the shop employee discount. On the boat if I'm buddied up with someone I'll tell them the truth also. That way even though I don't yet have my pro rating they know I'm at least rescue and don't watch over me like a hawk.

I no longer show my instructor card. The last time I did, I got saddled with a new diver who breathed down an 80 in 15 minutes. I didn't pay $100 to end my dive after 15 minutes, when I had 2500 psi left.

When on vacation, I now show my AOW card and tell them I only have 50 logged dives. In the US, from what I've heard from course directors, is that you are only liable if you agree to work or accept money for services. If I'm on vacation, I ain't working.

Yes, you can get sued for anything. But during the discovery phase of the suit, it will be determined that you (the vacationing dive pro) did not contribute to the accident or make things worse by not helping and will be removed from the suit by the judge. Instructors do not owe a duty of care for people who are not paying for their services. Otherwise, every instructor at the training quarries/ponds/lakes would be included in lawsuits.

Back
Top Bottom