What creature is on your 'to see' wish list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either a manta ray, or any type of shark

Thanks to Uncle Pug, the Pacific Giant Octopus is no longer on my "to see" list. :)

Remaining:

Pinecone fish (in the wild)
Weedy/Leafy Seadragons (in the wild)
Sawfish
Whaleshark
Mola Molas
Dugong

I would like to see a manta and a whale shark.

I've dived with quite a few of the critters on the wish lists above....

but I have pleaded with the Ocean Goddess to let me dive with a whale shark some time next year (hopefully the Ocean Goddess can have a conference with my financial planner and send me to Ningaloo Reef off Western Australia - fingers crossed!!).

maybe if i'm a good girl this year, santa will kick in a few $$ too!
:madelf:

My dream is to see a Sea Turtle. It's interesting though reading all these posts and realizing how spoiled I am diving regularly in California (north and south) and the Channel Islands - I've seen so many of the creatures that others long to see. But alas not a single turtle - yet. I leave for the Virgin Islands on Saturday, I'm hoping.

For me I really want to see mantas and hammerheads. No luck so far. I look forward to seeing nudibranches and lionfish even though I get to see them pretty much everywhere I dive. I still look forward to them because I think they're some of the most beautiful fish.

Let's separate reef fishes from pelagics.

On the reef :
Merlet's scorpionfish, looking at the glossies, the most beautiful reef fish IMHO.
Mimic Octopus.

Looking out to the blue side :
Whale shark, I'm looking for a place you can spot them just snorkeling to bring my daughter with me.
Tiger shark for the "pinch" (preferably on a night dive. Hmmm, no finally not, let's stick to day dive...)
Mola Mola, so...different...I suppose you cannot mismatch it with a trumpet fish or a barracuda, even schooling...
Marlin : I dived twice on the same spot in Makassar where the DM spotted two days before a big marlin. Though he had been diving for 10 years in Indonesia he told me he hadn't seen anything as impressive underwater. We stood there waiting for the show but unfortunately, the marlin did not show up.

Note I would not mind spotting again threshers (half way between white shark -the snout- and panda bear -the eyes-, ok may be not the panda bear but still very particular eyes...), manta rays, eagle rays (most graceful thing I've ever seen), pygmy seahorses (remember the old theory that in every atom there's another galaxy, made of atoms in which, etc. same feeling when you spot a pygmy seahorse, when your eyes get accustomed to the size, you then usually see 2-3-4 and more on the same gorgonian fan) , ghost pipefishes (THAT'S weird, man!) or even squids (closest thing to "encounter of the 3rd kind" when they start changing colors).

Back
Top Bottom