What dive computer to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be very pleased with the Galileo Luna. The display has all the relevant data that is nicely organize and, very importantly, easily readable. The compass works nicely even when the computer is not fully level. Haven't had any transmitter issues but I do keep a back-up SPG. There have been a few reports of wrist straps breaking, although I forget how old the units were. I refuse to lose a $1000 dive computer and have mine tethered to a wrist lanyard for additional security.

Do be careful with wrist units. They are easily misplaced and stolen. I never leave mine un-attended. If I need to take it off, when I'm a boat for any reason. I attach it to my BCD/Regulator with the wrist lanyard.

@ Hatul:

Do you find the heart rate monitor function of the Sol useful? Has it made you more aware of your physical expenditure underwater?

About the HR monitor, it's surprising how well it works. When I remember I do put it on, I have mine set to link to the algorithm as a workload indicator, and also so I can see the plot superimposed on the depth profile in SmartTrak. I find my HR has much to do with anxiety level and it's highest at the end when I'm about to come out through the surf zone.

Under water it's not that useful. Occasionally I look at it and it's roughly in the range where I expect it. One advantage in linking the HR rather than breathing, is I don't get many increased workload alarms with the HR like I was getting with breathing.

It may not work as well in a drysuit and I read of one report of problems with HR monitoring in a drysuit diver.

I use my Sol and HR monitor all the time with my drysuit. It works great. As far as the setting we recommend setting it for both breathing & HR - whichever is higher, that way you get the most conservative No Stop time.

If you are getting breathing worloads, doesn't it make sense to have those figured into the algorithm.

I use my Sol and HR monitor all the time with my drysuit. It works great. As far as the setting we recommend setting it for both breathing & HR - whichever is higher, that way you get the most conservative No Stop time.

If you are getting breathing workloads, doesn't it make sense to have those figured into the algorithm.

That's an extra conservative approach. The default is to link the algorithm to the increased workload as per heart rate, which is a surrogate to the cardiac output.

I found when I used breathing as workload I would get lots of alarms and I did not feel I was working hard. Worst of all, during the alarm a lot of information in the display is overwritten by the alarm, which seems to last a long time. According the manual the workload by breathing is related to a breathing pattern, so perhaps there's something peculiar about my breathing pattern that triggers these alarms. In my case at least I feel the workload by HR is more understandable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom