What do you consider "life support gear"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life support gear: -At one extreme in shallow warm water rec diving, where, IMO, the only thing that should be considered life support equipment is the compressor that fills your tanks (breathing posion is bad) - if your reg goes or whatever - you should be able to just swim up (this is why some many rec divers get away with not knowing what they are doing), when in doubt they just shoot up.
On the other extreme - for hardcore, technical cave diving , most of their gear (and their buddy's) could be considered life support without being over-dramatic. For example, I would think on a long penetration a DPV could be called life support gear.

In cold water, I think the case could be made for a DS being life support. If your DS fails and your underwear is not a high quality after you swam out 1/4mi off shore in 38degree water with a surface temp in the 30s, you have in danger of dying.

The sandwich and water back in my car after a dive....

detroit diver:
The sandwich and water back in my car after a dive....
Funny, the sandwich I found in the back of my car was exactly the opposite... or at least, I couldn't identify what kind of life it was supporting. :)

MSilvia:
Funny, the sandwich I found in the back of my car was exactly the opposite... or at least, I couldn't identify what kind of life it was supporting. :)

Now THAT was good! (I mean the humor, not the sandwich).

quite simply, We enter into an atmosphere that will not support human life. therefore we must supply,and bring with us a system that will allow us to exist in this atmosphere for a short period of time. By definition I would have to believe that at least SOME of the equipment we bring with us should be called "life support" specificly, an air cylinder, and device to breath highly compressed gas..... No?

dbg40:
quite simply, We enter into an atmosphere that will not support human life. therefore we must supply,and bring with us a system that will allow us to exist in this atmosphere for a short period of time. By definition I would have to believe that at least SOME of the equipment we bring with us should be called "life support" specificly, an air cylinder, and device to breath highly compressed gas..... No?
As MASS-diver pointed out a few posts back, most recreational dives are within ESA distance of the surface. The failure of my reg or the air cylinder doesn't kill me, unless the tank blows up.

dbg40:

Quite simply, I believe you're right.

Given that humans can only venture underwater for a very few shorts minutes, at best, without the aid of additional equipment, anything which allows us to extend our time underwater becomes life sustaining, or supporting. It could be a submarine, Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, air bell, air hose, whatever. As mentioned the SCUBA part is easy to see.

Perhaps stretching the definition a bit, more accurately probably expanding it, though it may be less clear in some cases but not less critical, is gear necessary to safely venture into and return from when considering other environmental factors. Such as cold -dry suit, penetration - line, fins, etc.

Some of you don't think this is life support equipment?

You better have a plan B when your life support equipment malfunctions or stops working altogether underwater, in order to return alive to the place where human life support equipment is not necessary.

I don't think the fact that a plan B is available and must be quickly enacted contradicts the definition of life support gear, rather - it confirms it. Unless, of course, your definition presupposes that without life support one can't live another second. However, the term as generally used infers life will not be sustained beyond a relatively short period of time, immediate cessation is not a qualifier. There is almost always a delay between cessation of life support and end of life.

I treat that which keeps me safe and sound underwater as precious, even when I have an excellent chance of making a quick and safe exit to the place where gear is optional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom