What goes around, comes around

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow ... spoken like a brand-new Fundies grad.

I don't think Lynne was trying to "convert" the guy to DIR ... just let him try one of her backplates. The dude doesn't need $100 worth of mods to his regulator to do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You got me there, Bob. :D

Several new LP hoses: $100
Waiting for the hoses to arrive: several days
Being reminded that your rig still has the 'Ghetto look': embarrassing
Returning the wrong hoses: painful and another $40

Nothing to snag or strangle you ever again: priceless

Yes the guy in the red suit, his reg is being pulled to the right, and it's the second time I've seen this problem with long hose diving in a photo. Perhaps the 5 ' hose is too short for this?

Adam

Lobzilla, you're right! This was rather a bit of hodgepodge . . . we grabbed one of our student regulator setups and put a 5' hose on it, which turns out to be just a bit too small for this man, who has a broad chest (the biggest determinant of whether a 5' hose will suffice or not). I'm ashamed to say that our student regs are put together mostly out of hoses we had in the house (making gear for four students is a project!) and not all the hose lengths are optimal, but they work well enough for OW classes. Similarly with the boltsnaps -- we can get half a dozen brass ones for the price of one SS, and they don't get enough use to get sharp edges.

But, as Bob said, this wasn't a Fundies class . . . this was just us lending a regulator to a friend, so he could see how the long hose/bungied backup system worked. And he liked it. We did air-sharing with him donating, and then with me donating, and then we swam a while with him on my long hose, and by the time we got out of the water, I think he had decided that the whole thing made WAY too much sense.

And he's going back to a weight belt, too . . .

Oh, and Crush, he introduced me to diving; I introduced him to the Hogarthian equipment setup, that's all. I would never write anything like what you thought you read.

OK:

a. Yes, the intent (if not the wording) was that Lynne was glad she could "pay it forward" by introducing D to diving in Puget Sound with his new BP/W after D introduced Lynne to diving in Puget Sound.

b. He was using a reg setup I threw together from spares that were lying around. Horrors -- I use brass bolt snaps for temporary setups -- and even worse, they are zip-tied on!

c. Since this was a temporary setup, thrown together in our basement yesterday morning, I just used a "standard" LP hose for the wing -- and there was an issue with routing so I didn't put it through the retaining strap on the inflator hose and yes, it is too long -- sigh.

d. I decided to try a 5' hose on the primary because he wasn't going to have a can light (however he did have one) and it turned out to be a couple of inches short thus pulling on his mouth. Should have used one of the 7' hoses that are lying downstairs but didn't -- sigh.

e. LIGHTEN UP!!! We all had a good time and it was fun to listen to D talk about how nice the overall system was -- including the S-drill D and Lynne did. He also went on about how his GF would really like the system.

Lynne, Peter,

No criticism intended. Just wanted to make sure that people do not draw the wrong conclusions from the photo and use that as ammunition in the next BP/W vs jacket BC war. And in fairness, the hoses on a singles rig are a pain to streamline; much harder than on doubles.

I haven't met anyone who tried this method of diving that doesn't prefer it over the "conventional" way. While many people think it's more complex, they soon find out it's actually easier. It took me a couple years to get my gf into a bp/w (halcyon's pink infinity was too much for her to resist), and she couldn't be happier with it. Now to get her to a long hose is the next step. Maybe next year...

By the way, you guys should know by now it wouldn't be scubaboard if everything posted wasn't nitpicked to death. At least twice.

Also, that's some nice viz - I haven't been in water that good in way too long. No, I am not being sarcastic!

Lynne, Peter,

No criticism intended. Just wanted to make sure that people do not draw the wrong conclusions from the photo and use that as ammunition in the next BP/W vs jacket BC war. And in fairness, the hoses on a singles rig are a pain to streamline; much harder than on doubles.

FWIW - I didn't think you were criticizing at all ... more like "enthusing" ... which is common at a certain evolutionary stage.

In fact, it made me smile ... 'cuz I remember being there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't met anyone who tried this method of diving that doesn't prefer it over the "conventional" way. While many people think it's more complex, they soon find out it's actually easier. It took me a couple years to get my gf into a bp/w (halcyon's pink infinity was too much for her to resist), and she couldn't be happier with it. Now to get her to a long hose is the next step. Maybe next year...

By the way, you guys should know by now it wouldn't be scubaboard if everything posted wasn't nitpicked to death. At least twice.

Also, that's some nice viz - I haven't been in water that good in way too long. No, I am not being sarcastic!

I haven't been in the water since Tuesday evening ... but if the vis is still like it was then, what you're seeing is more the effect of Peter's good camera work than the clarity of the water. We're pretty close to the height of a healthy plankton bloom right now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW - I didn't think you were criticizing at all ... more like "enthusing" ... which is common at a certain evolutionary stage.

In fact, it made me smile ... 'cuz I remember being there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like 'real life'

When you are young, you do not care about bloody knees.
At middle age, you try to prevent others from getting bloody knees.
Finally, you realize that bloody knees are not going away - ever.

e. LIGHTEN UP!!! We all had a good time and it was fun to listen to D talk about how nice the overall system was -- including the S-drill D and Lynne did. He also went on about how his GF would really like the system.

Let me ask you Peter. Is there anything in PADI rules/standards that would prevent one teaching this type of config? I couldn't find any (except some instructors are not too keen of the unknown). (Being fresh DM I am not rocking the boat but just want to know.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom