What has Scubaboard done for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apart from filling many otherwise dull hours at work with diving dreams, there are literally dozens of nuggets of information that pop up on SB.

Best of all, if you hear about something new at the LDS, you get one opinion of it. Something new discussed on SB, you will get dozens of opinions to listen to, and a much broader selection of actual experiences, and from a much broader geographical and cultural base. In particular, when considering a new item of gear or a new course, there are always plenty of helpful people willing to shine a light and share their experiences. And, to be blunt, unless they are making it all up on their profile pages, there are same pretty damn good divers to listen to.

Particularly useful are the travel tips. I have still never made it to Bonaire, but having read any number of threads giving helpful advice on it, I almost feel as if I wouldn't need a map...

The people are probably the biggest thing. I have met some people who have become very dear to me, here on SB. I've found friends to dive with when I travel. And I've enjoyed entertaining some wonderful people who have visited Seattle. And I have some folks I count as valued friends, who I have never actually met!

And like many of the other people responding, I have learned a great deal about technique and equipment here.

But the single thing I'm most grateful to ScubaBoard for, is that it was where I first read about DIR diving, and realized that it sounded like something that would work for me. If it were not for reading here, and for making contact with NWGratefulDiver in the Orca Bait forum, I might well not be diving today. I certainly wouldn't be cave certified, and tech in progress!

I've gotten quite a lot out of SB but the main benefit has been I have met a lot of awesome people. Some of them I have been able to dive with and some others that I have not met yet in person but hope to some day. :)

I have also gotten a lot of info about gear, travel destinations and just general information about diving. When I was new to diving I got told a lot of things by the LDS I trained with and was only exposed to one opinion about diving/gear/etc. SB has enabled me to read many different opinions and gives me more information to allow me to make a more informed decision. My gear setup is completely different to what I was taught was the right stuff to use and I am seeking far more comprehensive training now than what I was recommended initially to progress with.

I also love reading people's trip reports and especially ones that involve diving I can't do myself! (yet :p)

Over the past three years on the board, I've learned a lot of new things.
-I've learned some of the basics about tanks and regulators. Lots of good resources on how to care for and service regulators and tanks.
-My DIY side was nurtured, making spools, lights, wings...
-I've gained some insight into the dive industry, from things as mundane like tipping, all the way to the battle between LDS and the internet.
- I've picked up a lot of safety pearls from the accidents and incidents section, that no matter how remote a possibilty, ch!t happens.
- I've both adapted and adopted the techniques and styles from a multitude of posters - finding the right mix for me. I've run the equipment gamut, from jacket with airsource2, to BP/W with airsource, then back to back-up regulator. Tried my old jacket recently, but went back to the plate. I've gone from composite fins (thermoplastic and rubber), to plain old mares planas, then jets. tried the planas again recently, went back to jets. The major reason for me shifting to a longer primary was that there was less tension on the mouthpiece when it was configured right, although with the advent of miflex, this reason seems superfluous.

Picture1.jpg

Photo on the left taken on the day I got certified 3 years ago, with gear rented from the resort. Photo on the right taken recently, with my warm water configuration.
Changes: Though my gear selection has improved, for some reason, the smile seems to have changed, and I look a lot older. And fatter.

What has the board done for you?
The old saying, "Pictures are worth a 1000 words" is applicable here. You appear more seasoned/experienced in the pic on the right. The grin and equipment on the left says: Newb! :D

The old saying, "Pictures are worth a 1000 words" is applicable here. You appear more seasoned/experienced in the pic on the right. The grin and equipment on the left says: Newb! :D

Well, to some extent, I'd like to get that grin back :D

I ended up w/ the regs & bcds I got for my wife and I (lot's of other equipment too) because of SB info and opinions (and found out about ScubaToys!). Ended up w/ the current UW camera and strobe setup I did because of SB. Found out plenty about Bonaire & Roatan, which has allowed us to spend, hmmm, 13 wks in the Caribbean in the last 3+ years. We hooked into an upcoming trip to Bali & a Raja Ampat liveaboard because of SB.

Holy crap--this SB has cost me BIG bucks! All well spent because we've loved every bit of the diving it has enhanced for us. Now if I could just get SB to cut my lawn it would be perfect! :eyebrow: // ww

Besides being an endless source of diving information on equipment, travel and technique, I was introduced to some of the finest divers I could wish for, in skill and personality and generosity. By example and instruction, I was shown better ways to dive. I've also met fine people in my travels who, with kindness and generosity, have taken me on beach dives, boat dives, and out to dinner.

The best think about SB are the people.
I couldn't have said it any better

I've learned a ton about diving safety and better ways to do things. Has really given me a knowledge base that goes beyond open water and advanced open water certification. Was also incredibly helpful in purchasing gear. I feel more confident and a better diver because of what I've learned on here.

Oh ... and I've learned every possible topic is controversial in some way :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom