What have you done to make that dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nearing WPB for a dive (me), our car burned out the engine belt, so no water pump, power steering, alternator, nothing.

We limped into a shopping center a few miles from town. My wife-whom-I-don't-deserve (really) said she'd stay there and call AAA, and I should call a cab and go dive. Did so, was running pretty late but called the shop (Pura Vida) who said meet us at the boat dock, we'll bring your rental tanks. This was the only time I've arrived at a dive in a cab.

She spent the day at the repair shop rather than shopping, and picked me up at the dock. I'm a lucky guy.

I was with a group in Cozumel. As the boat left the dock the last day, one of our group stayed on the dock. I was setting up my gear at the spot next to the cabin because I could put my camera in a safe place.

So I heard someone yell - stand up and wave, so I did, falling into the stairwell to the head. It was a 2.5 foot deep well and I landed on my left foot. The pain was instantaneous. So I limped forward to our trip leader who is a Nurse Practicioner to look at my foot. I had a little discoloration so I asked her what to do. She said grit your teeth and go on the dive.

So I did. It was Palencar reef and the best dives of the week. I definately grated my teeth pulling on that bootie. I kind of dived in left hand circles but I got to dive. After the last dive I handed up my tank and crawled to the bench. All the deck hands, both Dive Masters and the Captain came up to me and smiled and said "Machismo"

I went to the hospital that evening. They diagnosed a Grade IV sprain that had to be immobilized. When I got home (fun by yourself on crutches) I went to my Doctor. He had it x-rayed again. I also had crushed the ends of the tibia and fibula.

That took me out of diving for 7 weeks. It was 4 weeks before I could even put weight on that ankle, in the big black boot.

But that doesn't get me down. I've been diving every month since I got back in the water. :)

Which reminds me of my girlfriend's birthday! Rather than take a trip we had planned, she decided that she wanted all of her closest friends together for an old-fashioned birthday party.

It was a perfect day and the water was calling. I had given her the option of diving early in the morning together, but she decided her bed was too cozy. Finally, I just HAD to go scuba diving - even though she wanted me there to greet and celebrate her birthday with her friends.

The conversation ended with:

"Are you sure it's okay?" I asked.

"Go ahead," she said.

"Are you sure? Because if you don't want me to go, I won't."

"It's FINE."

Woosh! I was out the door. I paid for that one for months! I may still be. She hasn't been available for any holiday since before last Thanksgiving!

(Note: The dancer broke up with me at age 20 because I was too sweet and romantic. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 years because I no longer am. I told her the other night how much she meant to me and how lucky I am to have her - especially since she's a loyal partner who has my back and she's a great diver. She looked at me. Her eyes narrowed and she suspiciously asked, "What did you do?" Nothing. She said, "You never say things like that." I said, "That's why I said it." Took a while, but I think she finally believed me.)

So you went diving AND now she's unavailable for holidays??? Huh, sounds like a win-win for you.

I had a long hose shoved up my ass.

No, really!

My wife said that I could go on a dive trip to Little Cayman, but only if I got the colonoscopy my doctor suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax

No, really!

My wife said that I could go on a dive trip to Little Cayman, but only if I got the colonoscopy my doctor suggested.

Good for your wife!!! :eek:k:

That's a novel use for a long hose . . . :D

So there is a dive event nearby this weekend. I was resigned to not being able to go because of lack of funds. However, I then realized that my college is buying back textbooks this week! I could go with that money! While I thought about this, I thought it would be cute to start a thread. What have you done to make that dive trip? :popcorn:

I went the complete other way two years ago - took almost a year off from work to focus on diving!

:eyebrow:

No, really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope it wasn't one of those GUE doctors with a 7 foot hose.

I risked the ire from my devil-daughter-in-law (who was living with me at the time) by making plans to go to Scubaboard Invades the Keys around the time my first grandchild was to be born. I never prayed so hard for her to have the baby late. She was mad that I was going, but luckily, my grandson waited until a few days after I returned to make his entrance. He'll always be my favorite <3

Reactions: Jax
:blinking:

Attachments

• Electrical Tape - AN-DP.jpg
    Electrical Tape - AN-DP.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom