What if...? Physiological Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A reverse block wont kill you, but you should definitely be aware of the potential effects. I was on a boat with a diver who blew out an eardrum. They had a brief moment of sharp stabbing pain and experienced extreme vertigo and nausea when the cold water flooded his ear.

We didn't know what was wrong, but we saw him turning kind of topsy turvy as his equilibrium was compromised. We got him to the anchor line and after a few minutes he regained his bearings. He was able to surface without further incident, although he did have some rather nasty discharge from that ear.

It's difficult to say what the outcome might have been if this had been a free water ascent, without an anchor line or several other people around to help him back to the anchor line.

You're right. It's not trivial. Vertigo is a wild and scary thing to someone who's never had it. I actually had it for a while many years ago. It took a good while to learn how to ignore it and switch to the other senses and have faith in things like the reality that the Earth isn't flopping around - or in the case of diving, that you're not really caught in a blender. It's funny how things that seemed so bad at the time turn out to maybe prepare you for something in the future. If I blew out an ear and had vertigo underwater now, I'd be able to relax, observe the spinning environment, and engineer myself to the surface. Nietzsche was sort of right.

I have not read anyone's answers yet. I just want to test myself first, then go back and read others answers.

Physiological Issues
* What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?

I would really hope I had enough thinking ability to know that it is time to thumb the dive and get warm. I have been midly chilly before, but I didn't feel like I needed to end the dive.

* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?

I believe I remember in OW class being told to stop where I was and catch my breath. I don't know if it ever happens that this feeling continues even after resting, but if so, it is time to end the dive.

* What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?

Couple of questions, do I have air in my tank? Do I have air in my BCD? If no to both of those, drop that weight belt! If yes to air in my tank, inflate that BCD!

* What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?

When descending, pause or ascend a little to clear. If ascending, then I would pause or descend to clear

What if I have that problem while ascending and I just can't get my ears to adjust, and now I'm running low on air???? Well, if I get down to dangerously low limits of air for the depth I'm at, it's time to blow that eardrum and get the heck out of there. An eardrum can be fixed, no air while underwater can't be fixed. (right?)

What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?
I'm not real sure that I would get sooooo cold that I could not think clearly, I would call the dive before that point, that said, I did a dive in december where I broke the seal on a dry glove on entry and that hand was pretty cold throughout the dive. By the time my buddy called the dive 30 or 35 min later, there was certainly no argument from me :D

What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?
First, check gauges (should be doing that anyways right :wink:) if low on air, signal buddy, obtain air source, end dive. If there is sufficient air, signal buddy. Slow breathing (deep slow breaths) check, or have buddy check to ensure tank valve is completly open, if it is, obtain buddy's octo, and end dive to determine the source of the problem on the surface.

What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?
Inflate bc, drop weight if that is insufficient and/or not possible (leaking bc)

What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?
First inform buddy of the problem. Then try everything I can think of to clear, air dependent. (Descend slightly and retry, flush with seawater and retry. If everything fails and low on air ascend and deal with the injury, better than drowning.

Edit: Thanks cave_diver for the suggestion on the head tilt, that makes sense. Devon_diver, pulling the hood away from your ear is a good one too, should have thought of that. Reverse blocks is one of those things that really, scares is to strong, but the thought does not make me comfortable.

* What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?

Time to thumb the dive and ascend. I would think that any situation that makes clear thinking would be a good time to end the dive, or at least ascend to where you can think clearly like in a case of narcosis.

* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?

I think I would alert my buddy to the fact that I was having trouble and try to calm down and see if that helps. If not, I would signal to begin an ascent but be prepared to make it a shared air ascent if it were to become necessary. At a minimum I would want my buddy to be as close as comfortably possible at the time should I need his assistance.

* What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?

Make sure my BC is inflated. I'm missing something here :idk:

* What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?

Descend until the pain goes away and try to equalize again by any means possible before tryng to proceed - yawning, moving my jaws, turning my head from side to side, etc. I'd sure hate the thought of still not being able to equalize and getting to the point where I have no choice but to ascend or learn how to breathe water.

There is one other relatively common problem not in the list of physiological issues ...... the case where a diver is getting exhausted from fighting a current.

I've noticed quite a few accident and incidents where a diver that surfaces downcurrent from a boat runs into trouble while trying to fight his way back upcurrent. Too often, what has happened is that the diver just disappears and is either never found or his body is found a few days later.

I consciously have resolved to never get in a situation where I exhaust myself to the point of a heart attack or drowning. I carry a variety of surface signalling equipment so that I can, with relative confidence, choose to stop over-exerting myself and drift downcurrent until picked up.

Yes, there is the risk that I'll be lost at sea, but that risk has to be balanced against the risk of medical issues brought on by over-exertion.

I would signal my buddy as soon I started feeling cold. If I feel ok to keep going, I would, but I would continue to let my buddy know if I got colder. I wouldn’t let myself get so cold to the point of not thinking, but if it happened, I would thumb the dive and seek a warm blanket so I don't end up with hypothermia.

* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough, gas?
Stop, signal buddy, calm down, breath slowly, catch my breath and maintain breath control. Continue the dive once I catch my breath and if I feel comfortable with continuing.

Inflate the BCD so that I float at the surface.

Stop and wait a few seconds, gradually and slowly ascend. (???)

Does the signal for "I'm cold" change on a night dive?
Let's say that you don't have one of those nifty $1000 canister lights with a Goodman handle.

I guess that may depend in what signal you use for a day dive?

I guess that may depend in what signal you use for a day dive?
I think the one that most divers are taught during OW class is:
cold.jpg

Move hands up and down.

Does the signal for "I'm cold" change on a night dive?
Let's say that you don't have one of those nifty $1000 canister lights with a Goodman handle.

I think the one that most divers are taught during OW class is:
cold.jpg

Move hands up and down.

I'd use the same signal. Get your buddies attention, when they turn to look at you, hug yourself to indicate you're cold. They should be able to see it with their light.

Back
Top Bottom