What if...? Physiological Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd use the same signal. Get your buddies attention, when they turn to look at you, hug yourself to indicate you're cold. They should be able to see it with their light.
That suggestion is the obvious one, but for some reason, my buddies and I have had a difficult time communicating this quickly and successfully to each other. Maybe we're just lame. :idk:

In general, when we're communicating non-emergent hand signals to each other we light up our own one hand while flashing the signal. It's been helpful to have a one hand gesture that communicates "I'm cold" (basically just half of the two-hand gesture). Alternatively, we just give the "turn around" signal and that accomplishes the same thing -- heading toward shore or back to the boat.

One thing that has worked for me in the past with a reverse block is to turn my head so the problem ear is down as I work my jaw and tug on my ear. Air will try to seek the highest point, so doing that seems to help it move away from my ear drum and relieve the pressure.

Our dive club had a webex with DAN the other night on ear-related topics and their expert stressed the importance of trying to open the Eustachian tubes mechanically.

Try right now to make movements with your jaw that cause your ears to 'click'.

I’m all too familiar with reverse block. I can sometimes shoot down to 60 feet in literally 30 seconds with zero problems with equalization, then in a minute ascend 12 feet to (say the top of the reef) and get slammed with a reverse block. It is either one ear or the other, but hardly ever both.

This is important, because when one ear is over pressurized and the other is not, it can induce dizziness and vertigo very quickly. For me, as soon as I feel the problem, I have to shoot down to depth again. It is a true emergency, because if I subject myself to the uneven pressures in my ears (and stay on top of the reef) , I will begin vomiting in like 30 seconds. Something I REALLY do not like. For whatever reason, it is 10 times worse than if one ear is not equalizing on descent.

Anyway as I re-descend, I need to very gently blow air into my Eustachian tubes. I don’t want to further over-pressurize the ear that is not equalized, but I do need to avoid a squeeze on the other ear. So… I immediately shoot back down to depth and almost always, the blowing in of air, and also some jaw wiggling will work. I also try to open my mouth and push my tongue to the roof of my mouth to help open the tubes. I’m often not sure if all this stuff has worked until I test it by trying to ascend again..

Sometimes this doesn’t fix it and I get the reverse block again. I quickly go back down again to a comfortable depth and then I remove the mask and forcibly blow my nose. Blasting air out my nose, somehow must move enough snot around that it has worked almost every time. A few more tongue thrusts and jaw wiggles and I head for the surface.

There have been a few times when I was low on air, couldn’t get my ear right and I just came up under considerable pain, all the time thinking: “ well this is the time you are gonna blow an eardrum”, but each time (so far) the air has popped out; sometimes with a loud blasting sound. When this happens, I am done diving for a few days, because my ears will be sore.

I think that diving in cold water must increase mucus production and promotes a revere squeeze at the end of the dive. Reverse squeeze is just one more good reason why we should leave the bottom with more air than “needed”.

I'm going to see if I can clump all the responses from the newer divers here together and discuss them collectively.

* What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?

See if my first scuba instructor was around. He was hot :D

OK, seriously I'd thumb the dive and get to where it's warm. I'd also signal my buddy that my brain is loopy so he'll pay close attention to me as we surface.

Thumb the dive (assuming I'm level headed enough to do so).

Signal my buddy there was a problem, I'm cold, and I'm struggling to think (Crazy person finger wobble at the temple?) Then ascend and try and get warm.

I'd have been on the way up before that. I've been cold enough in my life already, thank you.

I would really hope I had enough thinking ability to know that it is time to thumb the dive and get warm. I have been midly chilly before, but I didn't feel like I needed to end the dive.

I'm not real sure that I would get sooooo cold that I could not think clearly, I would call the dive before that point, that said, I did a dive in december where I broke the seal on a dry glove on entry and that hand was pretty cold throughout the dive. By the time my buddy called the dive 30 or 35 min later, there was certainly no argument from me :D

Time to thumb the dive and ascend. I would think that any situation that makes clear thinking would be a good time to end the dive, or at least ascend to where you can think clearly like in a case of narcosis.

I would signal my buddy as soon I started feeling cold. If I feel ok to keep going, I would, but I would continue to let my buddy know if I got colder. I wouldn’t let myself get so cold to the point of not thinking, but if it happened, I would thumb the dive and seek a warm blanket so I don't end up with hypothermia.

You all gave the "correct" answer in terms of thumbing the dive. Indeed, indicate to your buddy that you're cold ... and if it's starting to make you question your thinking capability, give the "I'm loopy" signal so that your buddy knows it's a serious issue.

If I'm at that point, I'm also going to tell my buddy to "watch me" ... (point toward your mask, then toward your chest) ... and possibly even maintain touch contact on the ascent.

As most of you indicated, it's a great idea to not let it get to that point. Once you begin to feel cold, let your dive buddy know. Sometimes, increasing your activity (i.e. swimming around) can help. If that's not an option, or if it doesn't help, take steps to end the dive immediately. This is NOT a time to start worrying about ruining your buddy's good time ... you'll do that a lot more effectively if you allow yourself to get to the point where they have to help you out of the water.

And that brings up another issue ... don't think that if it's just your hands or toes getting cold that you'll be OK ... you still have to manipulate your equipment, and either get up a boat ladder or walk out of the water on shore. You need functioning hands and feet to do that. If you start losing feeling in fingertips or toes, it's time to end the dive.

* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?

I'm not generally a hard/fast breather, at least I haven't been up to this point so something must have freaked me out. My first thought would be to surface and stop freaking out. However, if it was a case of not freaking out but just having a hard time getting air (but still getting some) then I'd check to make sure I actually had enough air by looking at the (hopefully functional) gauge. If not then I signal low air to my buddy, get his alternate and we surface. If I do have enough air, then maybe my valve isn't turned on all the way, or the reg has a problem. I'd have my buddy check the valve and I'd try my alternate to see if it's any better. At any rate, surfacing sooner rather than later would be in order. Funny how a lot of my answers to these questions involve getting to the surface.
:idk:

I think I remember this from class! Calm down, stop moving, and focus on good breathing until feeling goes away, otherwise thumb dive.

I have had this and it was scary, I could feel the panic rising. I signalled to stop, clung to a rock (we were finning against current) then focus on slow deep breaths. It took a good few minutes to calm down. Was able to continue after that.

I'd remember that overbreathing alone might be the problem, but it's all the same problem in the end. I'd do my self body check for physical stress responses and alter them (stress is physical, and you can dissipate most of it by correcting body responses), and that includes restoring proper breathing if I'd somehow not been doing it. If slowing the rate didn't relieve the reg problem, I'd try the backup while starting up and be doing all this fast enough to preserve what reserve I had in my lungs. The body response thing is pretty automatic with me, and once noticed, I'll deal with it automatically and can attend to the other stuff, like lining up the backup.

I believe I remember in OW class being told to stop where I was and catch my breath. I don't know if it ever happens that this feeling continues even after resting, but if so, it is time to end the dive.

First, check gauges (should be doing that anyways right :wink:) if low on air, signal buddy, obtain air source, end dive. If there is sufficient air, signal buddy. Slow breathing (deep slow breaths) check, or have buddy check to ensure tank valve is completly open, if it is, obtain buddy's octo, and end dive to determine the source of the problem on the surface.

I think I would alert my buddy to the fact that I was having trouble and try to calm down and see if that helps. If not, I would signal to begin an ascent but be prepared to make it a shared air ascent if it were to become necessary. At a minimum I would want my buddy to be as close as comfortably possible at the time should I need his assistance.

Stop, signal buddy, calm down, breath slowly, catch my breath and maintain breath control. Continue the dive once I catch my breath and if I feel comfortable with continuing.

This could be either an equipment issue, or an exertion issue. If you're working hard, suspect the latter ... CO2 is building up in your body and you need to get it under control. Stop ... if possible, grab ahold of something and totally relax your body. Slow your breathing down ... deep and slow, to allow your lungs to flush the CO2 out of your body. After a few breaths you'll start to feel better. Then deal with whatever caused the problem in the first place. If it's because you're fighting current, for example, it might be a good time to consider that conditions aren't right for continuing the dive, and start making your way back to your exit.

If exertion isn't the problem, then you're working to hard too breathe. This is usually due to one of two things ... either you've got your second stage turned all the way down (on adjustable second stages), or your tank valve's just barely on. Signal your dive buddy you've got a problem, and check both. If both seem to be OK, switch to your alternate reg and thumb the dive. Don't continue the dive if the alternate seems to be OK ... because you don't know what's causing the issue with the reg, and it would be better to not use that reg again until you find out.

* What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?

Is my BC broken, why is there no air in it? The first thing I do on the surface is put air in my BC. I'd ditch my weights if my BC wasn't keeping me up.

Inflate BC, lay on my back, if absolutely necessary ditch weight.

Assuming I'm OOA and can't power inflate my BCD, I'd try and manually inflate. If I couldn't do that I'd signal the boat I was in trouble and need help then ditch weight. Try and roll onto my back, ask my buddy for help.

Tell myself, "Whoa, you know better than that and know that you float okay without finning, you dummy. Relax. Let nature do the work."

Couple of questions, do I have air in my tank? Do I have air in my BCD? If no to both of those, drop that weight belt! If yes to air in my tank, inflate that BCD!

Inflate bc, drop weight if that is insufficient and/or not possible (leaking bc)

Make sure my BC is inflated. I'm missing something here :idk:

Inflate the BCD so that I float at the surface.

OK, most of you gave excellent answers here ... but don't hesitate too long before considering ditching some weight ... once you've ditched weights, even with a non-functioning BCD you will not sink. Always remember that weights are cheap ... and life is precious.

* What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?

Go down a few feet and try again. Keep trying. Try some more. Try again. If it doesn't work then surface in extreme pain. I've had a reverse block before. I was on a plane trip with my Mom. I couldn't get my ears to pop when the plane landed and OMG they hurt. I was crying and crying (I was 11 years old). They finally popped a little as we were waiting in line at Customs but they took about a day to get back to normal. Ouchie.

edit: just looking at that last part I realized it was backwards. Going from high altitude (less) pressure in a plane to ground (more) pressure would have been a squeeze. At any rate, same result, ear pain and one upset Mom.

Signal buddy, descend a bit and hang out there until ear clears.

I'd descend a little and try again, keep trying, chin wobble etc. I'm not sure how to fix it so I'd probably end up hurting my ears.:(

Assuming ample air remaining, go back down to where it's relieved and try again, but very slowly, doing the usual maneuvers. But I would not do this to the point where air was short. Short of air is one thing. Short of air AND in reverse block pain is quite another, and the block won't kill me.

When descending, pause or ascend a little to clear. If ascending, then I would pause or descend to clear

What if I have that problem while ascending and I just can't get my ears to adjust, and now I'm running low on air???? Well, if I get down to dangerously low limits of air for the depth I'm at, it's time to blow that eardrum and get the heck out of there. An eardrum can be fixed, no air while underwater can't be fixed. (right?)

First inform buddy of the problem. Then try everything I can think of to clear, air dependent. (Descend slightly and retry, flush with seawater and retry. If everything fails and low on air ascend and deal with the injury, better than drowning.

Descend until the pain goes away and try to equalize again by any means possible before tryng to proceed - yawning, moving my jaws, turning my head from side to side, etc. I'd sure hate the thought of still not being able to equalize and getting to the point where I have no choice but to ascend or learn how to breathe water.

Stop and wait a few seconds, gradually and slowly ascend. (???)

I know the question was about ears ... but another common source of reverse block is sinuses ... and a sinus block is extremely painful. If you get a block, first signal your dive buddy ... so they know that you cannot ascend normally. Give the "not OK" signal (flat hand moving like a see-saw), then point to where the problem is (ears or sinuses), and signal either remain here (flat hand moving back and forth), or descend a little (flat hand moving in a downward arc), and work on clearing. Once cleared, head up SLOWLY, clearing continuously as you ascend.

If you cannot clear, you will still need to go up ... it's just going to hurt like hell and possibly damage something. But eventually you're going to need to reach the surface.

One precaution I take is to keep a bottle of sinus spray in my car (dive kit). This isn't for use before the dive ... it's First Aid, to relieve pain and pressure if I have to surface with a sinus block.

Reverse squeeze is just one more good reason why we should leave the bottom with more air than “needed”.

This is something that's way worth pointing out ... any time you suspect you MIGHT have a problem is a great time to hedge your bets and dive more conservatively. If you are diving a bit stuffed up and think you MIGHT have a problem with reverse block, it's a great time to consider that you MIGHT have to spend more time than normal ascending ... and planning your gas reserves accordingly.

Remember, in scuba diving, what goes down MUST come up ... at least, that's the desired outcome ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

* What would you do if you started feeling really cold on a dive...so cold that it was difficult to think clearly?
ACTION: Thumb the dive and get dry and warm when we surfaced.
PREVENT: Bring adequate exposure protection, and a hood and gloves just in case.

* What would you do if you found yourself breathing really fast/hard underwater and the reg felt like it wasn't giving you enough gas?
ACTION: Adjust the knobs on my regulator to maximum. Signal my buddy to stop a moment. Stop and relax and get my breathing under control
PREVENT: Pay attention to how much energy I am exerting and don't overdo it. Stay within my known limits.

* What would you do if you're finning hard to keep your head above the surface of the water...and you're getting tired?
ACTION: Funny, I had this happen today actually. I fully inflated my BC, trusting it to keep me at the surface and kept my regulator in my mouth and stopped finning until I needed to get closer to the boat. My head did go under a few times (really rough water) but I felt ok because I had my regulator and my BC.
PREVENT: Not much to prevent other than not panic and use the tools available.

* What would you do if you were unable to equalize/clear ears on ascent (reverse block)?
ACTION: Descend a few feet and try again. I am honestly not sure what to do if I simply cannot get them to clear no matter what, though I understand this is really rare.
PREVENT: Clear regularly as I ascend if I don't hear/feel them doing it on their own.

[/COLOR]
Couple of questions, do I have air in my tank? Do I have air in my BCD? If no to both of those, drop that weight belt! If yes to air in my tank, inflate that BCD! [/COLOR]
Why not just orally inflate? Assuming you can get a quick breath and then exhale into your BC, there's no requirement for air in your tank.

Physiological Issues

For cold, I'd thumb the dive long before I got to the "stupid cold" state. I get cold easily and it's one of the big discussions I've had with all my buddies so far. When I start to get cold, I get out. Period. I've been hypothermic before (multiple times) and I don't like it.

Fast breathing for me indicates 1) cold, or 2) panic. In that order. For either one, I stop and calm down and deliberately take long slow breaths. From there I decide if it's time to thumb the dive or move on to see more sights.

Finning hard at the surface is very unlikely. I wear a lot of neoprene and very little (if any) weight. Plus, I have a BC. I always inflate it at the surface. I can orally inflate or use my remaining gas, if necessary. Starting with my next dive, I'll always be carrying an SMB so if I need extra help, I'll inflate that too.

I've not yet had a block, but I have minor difficulties getting my ears to clear anyway. As a result I'm very practiced at about 15 different ways that I use to clear and I'd try every single one of those after I descended to where there wasn't any pain. The one that works most often for me is tilting my head sideways, working my jaw, and pulling my ears. I might also try eating something, which helps a lot. Snacks on a dive are good anyway.

OK, most of you gave excellent answers here ... but don't hesitate too long before considering ditching some weight ... once you've ditched weights, even with a non-functioning BCD you will not sink. Always remember that weights are cheap ... and life is precious.

I was really thrown for a loop on this one, as you should be able to tell by my initial response. To clarify, ditching weight was definitely one of the first things that came to my mind along with making sure the BCD was inflated, but I really got a case of tunnel vision on this one trying to figure out what would be causing me to have to fin to keep my head above water if my BC was inflated. I'd imagine there could be issues there with rough or choppy seas.

That's what I thought of Kenny. My first ocean dive yesterday was really rough seas, so I was floating, but constantly going under for a second or two because of the chaotic waves. I guess the main thing for me was not to panic over it. I had my regulator with air and I wasn't descending. So I made sure my BC was full and stopped finning, worked fine. Now if I was being pulled under, like descending if I didn't fin, I would make sure my BC was holding air and drop weights.

Physiological Issues

Step one - um, well, let's just say "warm up my wet suit". Step 2 - abort and head for the surface. Step 3 - round up the depth to account for chilling, if I had more to wear on a following dive or a warmer spot to dive. Call it day if I lacked the insulation to dive the conditions.

Rest, relax, refocus. Check to see if SPG drops with breath (tank not open all the way). If it didn't clear pretty quick, signal out of air and get on my buddy's octo. Air hunger could be your body telling you you are breathing bad air. Either way - time to go up.

Inflate with power inflator or Ditch weights and manual inflate. Ditch weights if still in trouble. Signal boat / buddy for assistance.

Descend a bit. Tilt head. Wiggle jaw. Tug at ear lobe. Try to ascend at a slower rate. Repeat until air forces my hand. Signal my buddy in case of rupture / loss of equilibrium. IF I make it to the surface without blowing my ear drum, hit the Afrin in my save-a-dive kit and call it a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom