What is Advanced Open Water Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and felt it was a really good class. I think what made it great was the instructor. We talked about diving in lots of different environments and then got to try 4 or 5 of them (8 dives, as I recall).

:thumb:

I had heard (last year) AOW was going to be changed to Adventures in Diving to more accurately reflect this as the PADI introduction to more advanced courses. Did that ever happen?

It is amusing you can go from OW cert one weekend to AOW the next without ever doing a dive between. there are charters here in Mid-Atlantic who will not let you dive certain sites without AOW or above. Not met any of them, but that was my rational for going back & taking AOW.

Mike - can I watch while you tell your instructor candidate he has to do a 60 foot plus DEEP dive, w/ a snorkel and figure out how to write his name on a slate? Let the torture begin.

PADI did change the name some time ago. I believe the card still says "Advanced."

I still think there is a market for a real advanced course.

Note: This post is in no way intended to dog on PADI nor to imply that NAUI is better.

When I took my NAUI AOW course, the book we used was the old NAUI Master Diver book. There isn't much about recreational diving it doesn't cover, from how various types of regs work (1st and 2nd stage) to altitude diving tables to articles on most diving specialties. It really rounded out my knowledge and training and was itself almost worth the cost of the course.

If you're getting something less than that, then it might be that you're just getting a new card and should check out other courses that might offer other training options.

JMHO

Walter once bubbled...

I still think there is a market for a real advanced course.

I agree. currently in the PADI (true for some other agencies as well) system the only way to get the physics, physiology and so forth is to take a DM course. The problem with this is that not everyone want to be a DM. The DM course primarily is aimed at preparing you to supervise and contains little "dive training". That doesn't eave much for the diver who just wants the diving knowledge. As Walter has mentioned the old Advanced plus course included the same acedemics as the DM class and nine dives.

"true for other agencies as well"

Not true for all agencies. It certainly isn't the case for YMCA. My Silver Advanced course includes lots of academics including physics. I'm starting a new class next month.

As a guy who just did his PADI AOW, I can tell you that the book & everything says "Adventures in Diving" but the card says Advanced.

I think it was one of the best things to do as a brand spanking new diver (2 40' dives one day, then went into AOW the next). Not because I consider myself "Advanced", but rather because it gave me the opportunity to have a DM around who could help me really work on the things I needed while I was diving.

I really think my learning curve was a lot steeper because of the fact that my first "real" dives were under supervision, and the instructor gave me tips after each one.

Advanced? No... feeling more adventurous now? Heck yeah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom