What is happening with Exchange Rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is the best place/time to get pesos? Should I get them from my local bank before departing the USA? I've always felt ripped-off by the little airport booth exchange. I'll be using them for taxi, tips, shopping, and some food.

We used to get spot-price from our hotels in Tokyo and Taipei, but that seemed to be the exception, not the rule...

Where is the best place/time to get pesos? Should I get them from my local bank before departing the USA? I've always felt ripped-off by the little airport booth exchange. I'll be using them for taxi, tips, shopping, and some food.

We used to get spot-price from our hotels in Tokyo and Taipei, but that seemed to be the exception, not the rule...

In another thread I was told to never buy them in the USA and to use a bank or an ATM outside of the airport to get them. Freestanding ATMs were discouraged, some people suggested the ones at the Mega.

WORST places to get Pesos -due to bad exchange rates - Banks in the US, Airport Currency Exchanges , U.S. or Mexico.

WORST places to get Pesos due to likelihood of getting ripped off -ANY freestanding ATM

BEST places to get Pesos - Mexican Banks on Cozumel (You will need to bring your passport), Bank ATMs (only ATMs ATTACHED to Bank Buildings), Cambios.

i can usually get $100 or so worth of Pesos from my Hotel, but last year Casa Del Mar was only giving 12 Pesos to the Dollar, while downtown Cambios were giving about 12.5. So 50 pesos more (about $4.00) per $100 to go to a Cambio.

ATM's ATM's ATM's.

I've never flown into CZM, always CUN. I would have no hesitation about using an ATM there --- either terminal.

Freestanding ATM's were more than discouraged ---- DON'T ---- unless, as Skittl1321 says, they're inside MEGA, or Chedraui. ATM'S in bank foyers are no more risky than an ATM in a bank foyer in the US or Canada.

To the OP: You always feel ripped off by the cambios in the airport because you are being ripped off.

Do not withdraw US dollars from an ATM there. If you see Cashola on an ATM...walk on by.

Last edited:
Got 13.1 pesos per US buck today at the bank. I just find it more convenient to get it here than getting it in Coz.

I've never flown into CZM, always CUN. I would have no hesitation about using an ATM there --- either terminal.

I think the reasoning given for not using an airport ATM was not account safety, but just that the ATM fees tend to be higher. If your bank refunds fees, like many do, that doesn't matter.

I think the reasoning given for not using an airport ATM was not account safety, but just that the ATM fees tend to be higher. If your bank refunds fees, like many do, that doesn't matter.
The ATM fees at the Santander ATM that's at the CZM airport are the same as the other Santander ATMs on the island. I think there is only one ATM at the airport. The higher fees and poor exchange rates will be at any currency exchange at an airport.

I have been ripped off by ATMs at BOTH Mega and Chedraui. Beware

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom