What is happening with Exchange Rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see the huge financial gain from the exchange rate going from 13.5 to 14.1 per USD.

I pay hotel and diving in USD.

So I save a bit on meals, taxis and shopping at Mega but it probably is not that great a savings.

Call me a spendthrift, but I've never understood the logic of spending thousands of dollars to have a relaxing vacation, including eating out at overpriced tourist restaurants, taking cabs when public transport or walking would suffice, etc., and then quibbling over having to pay an extra few bucks to change spending money somewhere conveniently located as opposed to somewhere that requires more effort. When I travel to foreign countries I use ATMs (so long as they don't look dodgy) and, yes, even airport exchanges. Sometimes I get pretty badly dinged, but I just put it behind me. I suppose if I were changing a large amount of cash--say, with the idea of covering all my expenses for multiple weeks in a pricey locale--I would be more concerned. But to pick up some spending cash for a one-week vacation on Cozumel, it's just not worth it to me to seek out the most economical exchange option.

but this is a Mensa ScubaSIG trip, and the organizer loves DWM
<hijack type="blatant">
y'all need to quit scheduling the yearly SIG trips at the same time as my region's RG! we're also hosting the 2015 AG; ya planning to make the trip up from TX?
</hijack>

I don't see the huge financial gain from the exchange rate going from 13.5 to 14.1 per USD.

I pay hotel and diving in USD.

So I save a bit on meals, taxis and shopping at Mega but it probably is not that great a savings.
Well, the difference of 10:1 vs 14:1 is significant, but like you I book plane, hotel, and diving in USD. I usually don't bother changing currencies as everyone on the island seems willing to take USD at rates better than 10:1 anyway.

I've traveled where USD was not accepted twice: A week in Ireland and one in The Netherlands, and most of those were prepayed in USD. I did convert currencies for local spending, but was pretty clumsy with it.

Airport shuttle exchanged at 11:1. Which isn't much better than 10:1. Fine for that, but I don't want to pay all my meals at that rate.

We did pay hotel and will pay diving with usd so main expense is food. Possibly a few taxis but we will walk most places.

Ok 11:1 sucks. Wells Fargo is giving 13.26 today. Maybe I should see how that works?

Edit: Ok a few issues with that. I'd have to pay overnight delivery rates, if I could get my address to work. They don't deliver to POBoxes, a common problem, so the local PO says "Try using your street address and POB both. Might work." Blah! It's a small town, but we get out of town workers some days who don't know everyone and I have had street addressed mail returned. Besides, I don't want to wait at home all day.

I could drive to Lubbock and do it in person there, but not worth that drive. I'll do it when I arrive.

Last edited:
Whether I pay $11 or $15 for the same meal in Cozumel may be a significant difference relative to the price, but either way I think it's still a great bargain compared with eating out in the US, Europe, etc.

On a few occasions I've caught myself haggling with some vendor over a difference of 10 or 20 pesos and had to remind myself that it's not only not worth my while but the vendor probably needs the gain more than I need the savings.

Whether I pay $11 or $15 for the same meal in Cozumel may be a significant difference relative to the price, but either way I think it's still a great bargain compared with eating out in the US, Europe, etc.
Varies with views, I guess. $15 USD is about as much as I'd spend on a dinner here, while paying $20 for a $15 meal, plus tax & tip, would be a reach.

A $15 meal out is rare for me in the US so it makes a bit of a difference to me too. Being cheap at home is h w I afford vacation. I always tip and don't haggle but I still want to save when I can

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom