Info What is the "best" fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a decent test of efficiency might be to compare how far a diver can swim on one breath.
I would extend this to evaluate how far they go on, say, 100 psi at a fixed depth and specified average speed. Use markers along a line (e.g., every 10 seconds) for speed feedback to speed up or slow down.

I have been intrigued by the Force Fin Blog post linked in A surprise ... and elsewhere.
This is interesting, but since the OP in that thread who is also the owner of the blog (and company) mentioned is an active ScubaBoard member, might it be good to tag him here for comment?

This thread is hilarious to me and reminds me of the Harley forums where everyone argued about what was the best oil to use.

The best fin is whatever works best for you...........................................and everyone's overall posture and fin kick is different so there is no fin that can be deemed as the best overall...................

I personally like the Mares Avanti Quatro's..............but that's just me.

This is interesting, but since the OP in that thread who is also the owner of the blog (and company) mentioned is an active ScubaBoard member, might it be good to tag him here for comment?
Good idea. My bad for not thinking of it.
@Bob Evans

I can't agree with this point. I have probably half a dozen fins and they make a HUGE difference. The first fins I bought were the ScubaPro Go Sport fins. They were ok when I started and didn't know any better. Once I started diving with doubles they provided almost no propulsion. I switched to Apeks RK3's as my standard tech fin, but for serious propulsion I have a set of Hollis F1 fins, which are stiff as a board.

The fins, IMO make a huge difference. Unless I misunderstood the point or took it out of context?
Take a look at the paper. It compares barefoot swimming with using fins, NOT scuba, just swimming underwater. LS means a large, stiff fin (Mares Attack); MF is a monofin; BF is barefoot; SF is a short, flexible fin (Apollo BioFin Pro). At the lower speeds (up to 0.8 m/s (about 1.6 knots) there is not much difference among the three fins, all are much better than barefoot.
1671594789125.png

One really interesting conclusion in the Pendergast 2003 study (which asked each participant, "so what did you think? Which fins worked better for you?" The response were biased by comfort, not efficiency, and the simmers felt that the larger, stiffer fins were better, because "they pushed more water," even though the objective data did not always show that to be the case.

Attachments

• Economy_and_efficiency_of_swimming_at_th.pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 97
Take a look at the paper. It compares barefoot swimming with using fins, NOT scuba, just swimming underwater. LS means a large, stiff fin (Mares Attack); MF is a monofin; BF is barefoot; SF is a short, flexible fin (Apollo BioFin Pro). At the lower speeds (up to 0.8 m/s (about 1.6 knots) there is not much difference among the three fins, all are much better than barefoot.
View attachment 759926

One really interesting conclusion in the Pendergast 2003 study (which asked each participant, "so what did you think? Which fins worked better for you?" The response were biased by comfort, not efficiency, and the simmers felt that the larger, stiffer fins were better, because "they pushed more water," even though the objective data did not always show that to be the case.
After so many years might just put up the total report. (they asked me not to) So busy with our Water project,CHESS+EVANS LLC – Tools & Technology for Sustainable Water Supply do not want to get distracted. Wishing you all the best wishes for 2023. Ok. Love Bob Buy what ever fin you like. Enjoy your life it's short. Our Father Artist Gordon B. Evans gives you a quick view of life.

Attachments

• 0181_EvansG.jpg-fw.jpg
    0181_EvansG.jpg-fw.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom