What is your setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldnt have said it better. I did post in the regional forum b/c this is where I want to dive. I am looking into a BP/W setup becuase of the reasons mentioned above. I was just curious what everyone in NE recommends so I can avoid buying things twice. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to a few things:

Regs:

Scubapro MK25/S550 or Apeks ATX50

Computer:

Aeris Atmos 1 or 2...or a used computer bought online

Compass:

SK7 wrist compass

BCD:

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness (51 lb)
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/specials/deluxebpspecial.html

Halcyon Eclipse wing (local)

Deep Outdoors Matrix BC w/ 55lb bladder (local)

I am also very tempted by the zeagle Brigade package at Scubatoys..$1,100 for Brigade (35lb lift), ZX50 reg, and TUSA air/nitrox computer w/ SPG and Compass.

As you can see the big debate is over BCD's. I have not tried all of these BC's out and most of the local stores do not rent these type of BC's. I am going to try a Scubapro Knighthawk this weekend in Mrytle Beach so that should be similiar to the Zeagle. I has dove stab jackets and I really dont like them for many of the reasons other dont like them. I also want a modular system that I can expand as my diving ability and interests grow. If anyone knows of a place I could try these BCD's out I would appreciate it.

N.E.Diver:
Regs:

Scubapro MK25/S550 or Apeks ATX50

I'd go with the Apeks, as it is a much better cold water reg, due to it being environmentally sealed and a diaphragm design.

Computer:

Aeris Atmos 1 or 2...or a used computer bought online

I'm not familiar with this computer, but if it's not a wrist computer, I'd say forget it. Console computers are bulky and difficult to deal with when ascending. Gauges are best on the wrist, with the exception of the SPG, which should be brass and glass and best put on the left hip-dring.

BCD:

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness (51 lb)
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/specials/deluxebpspecial.html

Halcyon Eclipse wing (local)

Deep Outdoors Matrix BC w/ 55lb bladder (local)

Why the deluxe harness? What problem does it solve over a traditional one-piece webbing harness? The padding, extra d-rings, chest strap and buckles are all unnecessary. IMO, plastic buckles + cold water + cold weather = potential for breaking. The last thing I want is my rig coming off on me.

Go look at a standard backplate with a 1 piece harness and crotch strap. Oxycheq, Halcyon, FredT, Dive Rite, OMS...any of them, but stay away from their "deluxe" designs as they are a solution in search of a problem.

51 lbs is far too much lift for a single-tank wing. That wing would be suitable for diving double 104s with a couple deco bottles. A wing in the 30 lb range is suitable. Anything larger will provide unnecessary drag (this is somewhat dependent on the design on the wing) and dynamic instability (big bubble of air moving around = bad/annoying)

SOGGY-

thanks for the tips...I am looking into a wrist computer and compass. Although I am new and have only a few dives I know two things...1- I dont like stab jackets and 2- I dont like holding a computer btwn my fingers while also holding my inflator hose...very annoying. Where can I find FredT harness and what do you think about a Hammerhead backplate and harness package such as this cold water package.

http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/pricepoint.htm

All i need then is a wing.

N.E diver

It all depends on what type of diving your going to be doing. For recreational shore and boat dives in NE, I like a console mounted computers/compass. It's one less thing to worry about putting on or dropping (I loaned a customer a AI hoseless computer, that is now 3000ft down the wall in the Bahamas) when the boat is pitching and rolling. Especially when your a new diver in NE simple is better. Plus if your lobstering, you don't have to worry about scratching things up when you reach under rocks. The only time I can see an advantge to wrist mounted is when your doing safety/deco stops and it's obviously much easier to glance at your wrist then find your console.

I guess it's personal preference.

Paul

N.E.Diver:
Compass:

SK7 wrist compass

One word of advice on this; Lobsters. Ok more words; if you plan on hunting lobsters nothing should be on your wrist as you will most likely be doing some reaching into pretty tight places. Console with a retractor will work just fine, not as fancy but functional for NE diving. This is just my 2 pennies worth. Best of Luck with your purchases.

Edit: Oops PG I didn't read far enough down, so I second what PG says.

New diver...recent investments...anniversary gift will have to something special this year...
ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD with Atomics SS1
ScubaPro MK25/S600 regulator
ScubaPro Smart Com computer
ScubaPro Twin Jet fins, black
ScubaPro Deck Sole boots
Cressi Focus mask with corrective lenses (2)
Henderson Aqua Suede 3mm wetsuit

Back
Top Bottom