What is your setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTsunami:
For a person that does not have any plans to exceed recreational depths, my 6cf works just fine. I have tested it coming up from 30 meters without trouble.
QUOTE]

6cf may indeed work but the margins are tiny and we're talking about a direct ascent (no safety stop) with a calm SAC rate. Your SAC rate can double with anxiety or effort. The idea is to plan for the worst possible contingency and have a larger margin. It would be better if you had more gas to deal with more contingencies. It would be better if you had sufficient gas for a 5 minute safety stop after a series of deep NDL dives for example.

--Matt

Thought I would update this.

I bought a oxycheq wing with 45# lift and a weighted STA. Its about 13 lbs negative with the harness and everything. I bought two dive rite hinge style cam straps...kinda like scubapro only smaller hinge. I got an Oceanic regulator and octo. I also got some weight pockets that go on my harness and hold up to 15 lbs each and are made by Deep outdoors. I just dove all this stuff for the first time at Eastern Point Beach in Groton, CT over by Pfizers global namufacturing headquarters.

First problem was that my dry mock up of the harness did not translate well once weight was added to the pockets and a tank on my back...and everything was wet. The pockets sagged to my upper thighs. I had 12 lbs in each pocket. I tried to take some time to slide everything back closer to the plate, but I did not have a lot of time as people were a little impatient...So I threw the crotch strap on and took off. My attitude in the water was just fine other than the two sacks of lead hanging a good 6-8" away from my body. Surface time was rough as I did tend to be pushed foward, however, I did have the tank way to high on my back and I also had weights sagging around my thighs. I also wouldnt have minded a shoulder dump on the wing. There is only one pull dump on the lower left side. Sometimes I had to roll a bit to get the last bit of air out. No more than with any other backinflate BC. I did feel like a rocket in the water and I also think I could have dropped a few of my 36 lbs. I am so glad I did buy this type of setup...despite the DM telling me "it looks kinda silly". I love the fact that it is a modular system that I can shange or ajust as my needs change or repairs demand. Anyway sorry for the long post, but I thought I would share. Thanks to all who have shared advice to a new diver.

Forgot to add that I used to need 45 lbs of weight to get me down in a jacket style bc w/ 7mm full, hood, boots, gloves...so I dropped at least ten lbs just by moving to a plate and wing. Gotta love the low profile.

At the end of your dive, with an empty tank, feel your wing...or better yet, have someone else look at your wing and make sure you don't have a lot of gas in it. I'm not sure what tanks you are diving, but unless you are extremely obese, 35# of weight sounds like FAR too much.

I am 235lbs at 6'. I can go as low as 28 lbs however a need a line to get past about 15 ft...after that I am good. I was diving in about 15-18ft of water yesterday so no suit compression. I do think I can drop a few lbs...everytime I dive I go down in weight...so we will see.

Yes I was fine...I don't need much air in the BC b/c I am mostly bouyant on my own and I can control a lot of my bouyancy through breathing and the occasional tap of air in the BC. I use a single AL80 and when I did some boat dives using a down line system I had trouble getting down the first 10-15 ft w/ 28 lbs and I was diving a Knighthawk w/ 7mm full exposure system. At the end of my dive I still had between 500-1,000lbs left in the tank and I had no problem maintaining a safety stop at 15 ft for 3-5min.

N.E.Diver:
Yes I was fine...I don't need much air in the BC b/c I am mostly bouyant on my own and I can control a lot of my bouyancy through breathing and the occasional tap of air in the BC. I use a single AL80 and when I did some boat dives using a down line system I had trouble getting down the first 10-15 ft w/ 28 lbs and I was diving a Knighthawk w/ 7mm full exposure system. At the end of my dive I still had between 500-1,000lbs left in the tank and I had no problem maintaining a safety stop at 15 ft for 3-5min.

Then you didn't need to pull yourself down....you LOST 6 lbs of gas (well, probably about 4). If you had to pull yourself down at the beginning, you wouldn't be able to hold a stop at the end....that's physics.

Most likely, you are holding air in your lungs or are kicking while trying to descend. You may also not be getting enough gas out of your wing. Exhale and keep your legs still until you are below the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom