What kind of fins for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im going to start my certification class in September and I purchased a snorkeling package that has the mask snorkel and fins. I was talking to the instructor and he said snorkeling fins wont work for scuba. Im guessing the mask and snorkel would work. What are some good fins for scuba that wont cost a fortune?

"Snorkeling" fins will work also. The idea of any fin is to displace more water than your foot so you can move through the water with less effort. Snorkeling fins tend to be full foot fins that you use without booties. If your diving area is below 75F, you should consider bootie type fins with neoprene booties for warmth. There are many types and brands and none are really bad....that I know of. It's a case of personal preference for fit or style I think. I use long blades for scuba and free diving but mainly Mares Avanti Quattros for scuba.

Might want to double check your mask as well. I did some free diving with the "snorkel" mask that I had and it leaked like crazy. If you plan on diving frequently you're better off just getting good equipment. Its worth it.

I think you'll find that the "snorkel" fins are a lighter weight construction and while you can use them for diving, they will "burn out" (bend over) during heavy kicking or if youv'e got on a lot of gear.

For this reason, you'd want to buy some heavier made open heel type "scuba" fins. The other advantage of open heel fins is that you wear booties which give you thermal warmth on your feet and also protect the bottoms of them if you're shore diving and having to walk across rocks.

Keep the snorkel, but buy good eqiupment. As far as fins go, most divers use open heel fins and that means you need to buy booties too. If I were you, I would try some different fins at the LDS and choose if they let you try before you buy. And you also want to fit the mask properly and try the fins on with the booties. I would bite the bullet and go with the equipment your instructor sells. It is not like they are making any money on your class.

Especially if your mask is a Snorkel mask with a nose purge. Once you put your regulator in your mouth, ive found you have a lot harder of a time clearing your ears with a nose purge mask. A nose purge is sgreat for snorkeling, but once you get into diving, the plastic purge is a hinderence especially if you are not comfortable with a mask full of water. I use Atomic Split Fins, they are a bit on the priceier side, but i tried a blade fin in the pool and a split, and i found a split was easier for me and used less energy and provided equal if not more power. Before those i hade a set of blade fine used for snorkeling, but could laso be used for diving, the were US Diver fins, i love those fins, i still use them to this day, as a back up, if someone orgets theirs or when i dont want to where booties since they have a neo-prene heel guard on the strap.

As for masks what ever fits the best is the best. It doesnt matter if its one of hte integrated skirt masks from Atomic, or one of the cheaper ones.

Dont skimp on your basic gear. Were not telling you to go buy your BC Reg and computer, but dont skimp on the basics.

As for snorkels, dont spend the 40 or 50 bucks on the dry snorkel unless you are going to be doing ALOT more snorkeling then diving, becuase hte only time you need a snorkel in diving is when your waiting on people to get in the water or on your shore swims.

Welcome to the sport of Scuba Diving.

TheRedHead:
Keep the snorkel, but buy good eqiupment. As far as fins go, most divers use open heel fins and that means you need to buy booties too. If I were you, I would try some different fins at the LDS and choose if they let you try before you buy. And you also want to fit the mask properly and try the fins on with the booties. I would bite the bullet and go with the equipment your instructor sells. It is not like they are making any money on your class.

This is good advice. I kept my closed-heel snorkel fins through certification then found that having open-heeled fins allowed me to put my hands through the straps to board the boat via a ladder.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Actually, when we do our dive classes, there are 5 main personal items that we require each student to have...

mask
snorkel
fin
gloves
booties

Now, it might be that the water is cooler here in San Diego, but each student is required to have those items. If the fins are to be used, then they MUST fit a bootie inside... check that.

Also, make sure the mask is "Tempered" glass... if not, do not use it, it will not work at depth, which can harm your eyes. For myself, I don't think I would trust a snorkeling mask at 130 swf.

river_sand_bar:
Actually, when we do our dive classes, there are 5 main personal items that we require each student to have...

It is always amazing to me to see such new divers talk about dive education. Been diving to 130 feet? :confused:

:eek:fftopic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom