What kind of fins for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar:
I actually work in a dive shop... have my certs in AOW, Rescue, deep, wreck and work on DM... I am sorry, I haven't updated my profile in a while....

and to answer your question... YES, I have been to 130.

Plus, not off topic, as the OP ask if the snorkeling gear would work for scuba... so I was simply giving my thoughts on if I would want to be using a snorkeling mask on a deeper dive. OW cert dives can be as deep as deep as 60 swf. So if you tell a person that the gear used for snorkeling can be used for scuba with OUT stating the limits of it, then your doing a dis service to that person. They will always think that the gear is fine at any recreational limits.

Here is how most people view diver development:

Nob
Experienced nob
Divemaster
Instructor
Tech diver
Tech instructor

So good luck with your D/M course!

nereas:
Here is how most people view diver development:

Nob
Experienced nob
Divemaster
Instructor
Tech diver
Tech instructor

So good luck with your D/M course!

Well, I skipped over the "professional" courses and went into tech.

I simply asked because his profile said he had 24-50 dives. He just updated it. His comment "we require our students" stuck me as odd with his old profile.

TheRedHead:
I simply asked because his profile said he had 24-50 dives. He just updated it. His comment "we require our students" stuck me as odd with his old profile.

I can understand why that struck you wrong.... but I had mentioned that in reference to all the classes that we put thru the shop. We are an very busy shop with about 10-20 students a week going through OW.

I guess the best thing to do is try different ones on at the dive shop and go from there. The mask I have is tempered glass. I was planning on getting different fins when I start diving and planed on the open heel and boots. Another question, should I get split fins or the solid ones?

Blackwood:
Fins are fins.

Yep, and a camera is a camera! You ought to know!

regards,

Aric:
I guess the best thing to do is try different ones on at the dive shop and go from there. The mask I have is tempered glass. I was planning on getting different fins when I start diving and planed on the open heel and boots. Another question, should I get split fins or the solid ones?

OK this is just my opinion ( and everyone knows what they say about opinions). A solid fin is good, you just use a different kick style, more like using a broad stroke of a brush. On the split fins, smaller lighter kicks from the ankles work the best, like using small light strokes of a paint brush. If a LDS is any good, they will encourage you to try the different fins in the pool before you buy any fin, mask, regulator, BC.

Especially the split fins, i tried blade fins one in OW and splits the other day, in the pool. I ened up spending a ton more becuase i liked the fit of the fin, the ease of kicking and the propulsion. And i just upgraded my Atomic Splits, to the smoke on the water, best descision ever.

As for the person who said fins are fins, you must be crazy, there are limp blade fins, whcih at our LDS go fro about 35-45 dollars, theres the strong blade which goes for 50-60 then there are the limp clsed heal snorkel fins for about 15 dollars, so you must be diving in WalMart fins.

but Aric, just ask ur LDS if you can try the splits in the pool.

BTW any one here have the Datapro mask?? or at least dove with it??

Pir:
]I ened up spending a ton more becuase i liked the fit of the fin, the ease of kicking and the propulsion.

That's what matters and that's why it is best to test.

I went back and signed up for the NAUI ow class and then asked if the fins were included in the gear rental and he told me they are, he also said my snorkeling mask and snorkel would work just fine. I was worried about not having the right fins for the class but since they are included, I dont need to worry:14:.

i dive with what i have; I have dived with every type of fin i can think of, including "snorkel" fins. fins vary, but be pragmatic; dive what you have. using a set of snorkel fins will not kill you, or make you dangerous. they may make you in-effecient, but that is another discussion.

Back
Top Bottom