What kind of fins for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
It is always amazing to me to see such new divers talk about dive education. Been diving to 130 feet? :confused:

:eek:fftopic:

I actually work in a dive shop... have my certs in AOW, Rescue, deep, wreck and work on DM... I am sorry, I haven't updated my profile in a while....

and to answer your question... YES, I have been to 130.

Plus, not off topic, as the OP ask if the snorkeling gear would work for scuba... so I was simply giving my thoughts on if I would want to be using a snorkeling mask on a deeper dive. OW cert dives can be as deep as deep as 60 swf. So if you tell a person that the gear used for snorkeling can be used for scuba with OUT stating the limits of it, then your doing a dis service to that person. They will always think that the gear is fine at any recreational limits.

river_sand_bar:
I actually work in a dive shop... have my certs in AOW, Rescue, deep, wreck and work on DM... I am sorry, I haven't updated my profile in a while....

and to answer your question... YES, I have been to 130.

Yeah, I saw the pic in profile. Devil's Throat. Fast-tracking?

river_sand_bar:
"Devils Throat"??

Not Devil's Throat? Sorry, it looks a lot like the cavern called Devil's Throat in Cozumel.

If you got the snorkeling package at at sporting goods store or department store it is probably ok for snorkeling. For scuba it's most likely, except for the snorkel since you'll want to get rid of it in a little bit anyway, junk. As other have said unless you plan on only doing warm caribbean water off of a boat full foot fins in these parts will most likely result in cold and /or cut up feet. Try walking across a gravel lot to the water at the lake or quarry with an additional 60 lbs or so of gear on in bare feet. Or better yet to provide some entertainment to others do it in full foot fins! The snorkeling packages usually have a one size fits all mask which is fine if you are the one size. If not you're screwed. The fins are again normally not enough to propel you with any kind of reliability in full scuba gear. Unless you have super strong legs and endless energy. Fit is critical with fins, boots, and especially masks. Go to the shop and try on as many as you need to to get a proper fit, and then spend whatever it is you need to spend to get what you want. You do not need to spend a grand on this stuff but 150-200 is the norm around here for "dive quality gear". Have fun and enjoy what may become your newest and most expensive addiction.

Nope, it was a swim thru on the Santa Rosa wall....

And for the comment on Fast tracking... I now have just under a hundred dives in... so I really wouldn't think that its fast tracking. Diving 1-2 times a week right now.

river_sand_bar:
Nope, it was a swim thru on the Santa Rosa wall....

And for the comment on Fast tracking... I now have just under a hundred dives in... so I really wouldn't think that its fast tracking. Diving 1-2 times a week right now.

Just continue your education and don't worry what others say. People think that with over 200 dives they are experts and less than that you are still a newbie.

As far as the OP's question... Different fins are made for different kick styles. Split fins and blade fins are most effective with two different kick styles. Then throw force fins in and there's another kick style. Try the different styles at your LDS to see what's best for you. Proper technique for the specific fin set you have will get you the most out of the fins. Going by what these "experts" say when buying YOUR fins could land you with fins you don't like.

Tempered glass in a mask and proper fit is important. Snorkels... Keep what you have and don't waste more money. If it has a hole at both ends, you will be fine for diving. JimLap summed it up pretty well.

Before I did my OWD course I purchased Mares full heel fins which I used for my water rescuing course and they were perfect.

Later on I came up with the OWD and as I already had quite good fins I decided to use them. The water was warm, so actually there was no need for booties. But after a few days of diving I had my lesson - under my ankles I got rashes. I think the mixture of salt, water, sand and rubber did the job. Anyway, each next dive was more and more painful, imagine fresh skin with salt water. After coming back home I had problems with my ankles for over 2 months.

Now personally I know that full heel fins are not good for my scuba dives and only booties + open heel fins do the job. Maybe it's just my individual experience.

Here in Hawaii, I know of quite a few divers (including pros) who prefer full-foot fins (without booties). If it is a mid-day beach dive in the summer, open-heel with booties gets you across the hot sand without running. Dives that start in rocky areas are also easier with booties. Many divers only dive warm water from boats and full-foot is fine for that. Most of the popular open-heel fins are also available in full-foot and full-foot fins are considered more efficient than their open-heel siblings.

If your mask air space is properly equalized I see no reason polycarbonate lenses would be dangerous at depth, but yes most good dive masks are tempered glass. The most expensive recreational dive mask I know of is polycarbonate.

A dive snorkel has a flexible lower half and hangs straight down when the mouthpiece is not in your mouth (out of the way). Most snorkeling snorkels have a permenant bend and are not out of the way when your regulator is in your mouth.

Aric:
Im going to start my certification class in September and I purchased a snorkeling package that has the mask snorkel and fins. I was talking to the instructor and he said snorkeling fins wont work for scuba. Im guessing the mask and snorkel would work. What are some good fins for scuba that wont cost a fortune?

The all cost a fortune, both the good ones and the bad ones. That's why your instructor probably told you that the ones you got now wont work. He wants the store to make another small fortune off you. That is the name of the game in gear sales.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom