What makes a good dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving in shark-infested waters, a good dive buddy is someone who swims slower than you! LOL.

Note to self: Decline any shark diving expedition with gasgirl.

1. What are your expectations of your dive buddy?
I expect my buddy to stay close and aware and know that I won't be mad if they need to thumb the dive. I may have a sudden onset of hunger though. :wink:

2. How close do you stay to your dive buddy during your dive?

I try to stay close enough that in an OOA situation swimming to each other and starting an air share is less then a few kicks away.

3. Does one of you take the lead and the other follow?

That depends on who knows the site better. I mostly dive with people who have more experiance than I do so they usually lead. Sometimes I will lead to practice my navigating skills.

4. What are your procedures upon entering the water and upon returning?

The majority of my checks are done on the shore so the only thing I do in the water is check for leaks, check that my second stages are working properly at depth and check that nothing has been knocked out of place during the entry.

5. Does it change things if you are diving with a buddy you were just paired up with on a dive boat?

I've never been on a dive boat but I have been paired up with buddies on guided shore dives. It definatly changes my comfort level considering I don't know how the person will react in different situations.

Back
Top Bottom