What not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
When I did my Advanced Nitrox, it was a little more conservative than IANTD tables, but not too bad (maybe a minute or so on a dive to 120 ft. for 20 minutes on the last stop).

I am buying the VR3 now for one reason only. That is because I will be diving mix by the end of next month. I am told that the VR3 corresponds with the IANTD decompression schedules almost exactly. I should be picking up my VR3 on Friday.

Otherwise, I would have stayed with my VyTec. The only catch the VyTec doesn't indicate deep stops (although it does give you credit for them if you do them as you write down on your slate :) ). Suunto must assume that if you are doing deep stops that you know enough to plan them first and not just "dive the computer" without thinking about it. The VR3 will indicate the deep stops as well.

If you won't be diving mix, I would say that the VyTec (especially for the price that you are talking about :) ) is a great option.

Yeah, that's about what I get on the wreck dives too. It sounds pretty close, maybe I'll borrow one the next time out and see how it goes. In my heart I'd really like to have the VR3 but the price of the Vytec is hard to beat .... :)

I'm pretty sure I'll do a mix course at some point. My adv-ean instructor wants to do mix with a group of staff from the school this year but there aren't any really deep spots to dive around here and I`m not motivated for it right now. I guess I`m afraid if I get the Vytec that I`ll be diving it in gauge mode most of the time....

R..

I've got a Nitek 3 and love it except for no backlight without hitting it with a flashlight first.

serapis:
Suunto Cobra love it, But you do get bit by the additional cost of software and a cable for linkup.
The best value if you are going to spend the cash on all the options anyway is to get the Cobra "Pro Pack" which includes the download cable, quick release and the "must have" integrated compass.

NetDoc:
FWIW, I do love my Cobra, but these old eyes have a hard time reading the numbers at depth. :D I could go for bigger numbers on my next computer.

The TUSA IQ-800 seems to me the most recent offering for this issue for diving one N2/O2 mix (like the Cobra is set up for), outside of U/W corrective lenses like Diver0001 mentioned. And I bet if you ask Larry, he'll make you a deal.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Nitrox_Computers.asp?PAGE=2

Diver0001:
Yeah, that's about what I get on the wreck dives too. It sounds pretty close, maybe I'll borrow one the next time out and see how it goes. In my heart I'd really like to have the VR3 but the price of the Vytec is hard to beat .... :)

I'm pretty sure I'll do a mix course at some point. My adv-ean instructor wants to do mix with a group of staff from the school this year but there aren't any really deep spots to dive around here and I`m not motivated for it right now. I guess I`m afraid if I get the Vytec that I`ll be diving it in gauge mode most of the time....

R..

I have the solution for that. My VyTec turns into my bottom timer (to back up the VR3) on tri-mix dives and a standard back-up computer for everything else. I am not losing the VyTec. Now, the first decent money that I find can buy my Cobra. :)

diverbrian:
I have the solution for that. My VyTec turns into my bottom timer (to back up the VR3) on tri-mix dives and a standard back-up computer for everything else. I am not losing the VyTec. Now, the first decent money that I find can buy my Cobra. :)

Good point. So it's only giving you a few min extra deco on the last stop? I can certainly live with that. I don`t have any kind of "hurry up" mentality. Do you ever get it going back into deco from the last ascent from 4.5 metres? I've heard people say that this happens and I assume they're doing something wrong but I don't have a good idea what it could be.

R..

Diver0001:
Good point. So it's only giving you a few min extra deco on the last stop? I can certainly live with that. I don`t have any kind of "hurry up" mentality. Do you ever get it going back into deco from the last ascent from 4.5 metres? I've heard people say that this happens and I assume they're doing something wrong but I don't have a good idea what it could be.

R..

Keep in mind that the deco time includes a five minute mandatory safety stop (the computer will penalize you on repetitive dives if you don't do at least the first two minutes of this stop, but will not lock up). The three minute safety stop is included in this and will trigger for some unknown reason at times. My guess is that Suunto's are hypersenstive to fast ascents. It may be reacting to that. If this happens, I ignore it and surface as I know that I followed my plan and the computer can "bark" at me all that it wants to!

diverbrian:
Keep in mind that the deco time includes a five minute mandatory safety stop (the computer will penalize you on repetitive dives if you don't do at least the first two minutes of this stop, but will not lock up). The three minute safety stop is included in this and will trigger for some unknown reason at times. My guess is that Suunto's are hypersenstive to fast ascents. It may be reacting to that. If this happens, I ignore it and surface as I know that I followed my plan and the computer can "bark" at me all that it wants to!

Thanks for the info, Brian. I happened to be at the shop this afternoon and they just had a guy trade in a Vytec with 8 dives on it for a D9. I can pick it up for about $100 out of pocket. Not a bad deal.

R..

I've been very happy with my Uwatec Smart-Com.

There are no user controls to play with underwater (aside from squeezing the case to activate the backlight). If you need to see something, it's got a permanent place on the display.

It's extremely solid and water-tight, since there are no controls, knobs, buttons, etc. that extend from the outside of the case to the inside. It's also permanently sealed, and filled with some sort of grease to prevent water entry in case of a minor case failure.

The battery is only servicable at the factory, however it lasts for years (had mine for 2+ years and it's not even thinking about starting to run down yet). Also, sending it back for a new battery means they get to take a look at it and see if it needs any upgrades like new firmware.

It's been extremely reliable, moderately conservative, and has a combination of manditory, recommended or no stops depending on what kind of dive profile you happen to be doing (if you're within your NDL limits and have been doing a nice slow ascent, it won't ask you to do anything).

Most of the warning sounds cane turned off (I think there are a couple of "I'm really screwed" noises you can't turn off), and it has configurable alerts for exceeding the MOD you pre-set as well as a turn-around pressure alert (you pre-set this also).

I'd buy another one, if I needed one.

Terry

surfsidedav:
My next purchase is a computer. After doing some searching and reading, it seems that there are about as many computers as there are opinions about computers. And everyone has there favorite for their own personal reasons/usage requirements. So to simplify things, I hope, could I get some input on what brand NOT to buy, or features that are useless to stay away from. My LDS carries UWATEC, so naturally that's the best thing made.
Thanks,
David

Michael Freeman:
No problems with the wireless sensor so far, but only have a few dives on this computer. It does take a while to come up and lock when you first activate it when setting up your equipment.

I am doing my next dive on April 2nd. I will be glad to attempt to break the connection between the computer and sensor by moving it around and making the signal pass through my body (i.e., no line of sight), but with my hand by my side or when I was looking at it, I never had a problem with it disconnecting.

I wasn't so much concerned about the transmitter losing connection (although keeping the computer on the right wrist on the same side as the transmitter should help). I have a friend with the experience of the Uwatec computer reading the actual tank pressure differently than their other computer which is also integrated. The Uwatec was reading up to 200 psi higher air pressure than the Oceanic Data Pro Plus that he had on a hose. Of course he worked with the lower reading. He also complained of the alarms he couldn't turn off but I think he followed the Oceanic computer for his dives and just liked the Uwatec for the easy reading of depth and it is just a matter of course that the Uwatec would start beeping on violations as it is more conservative than the Oceanic.

I am mostly interested in cleaning up my rig with a wrist mount. I would also have a SPG on a short 24 inch hose clipped to my d-ring as a back-up and check.

Maybe someone else has good or bad experience with the tranmitter being acurate in it's tank pressure readings? hate to spend a lot of money any not trusting the gauge.

thanks.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom