What regulator do you lust after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Hog at one point that I ordered new with a set of service parts. I ended up selling it before it needed to be serviced, so they came with it.
It didn’t do anything for me.
I also had a Sherwood Brut that I bought new as a pony reg. I ended up selling it too since getting parts was a hassle, and it was nothing special.

I used to lust after Atomics, and they are nice regs, but getting parts and hearing about what a PITA they are to fill with goop and what a mess they are, no thanks.
Totally understand that! I had sold my Atomics for that reason, but... their workmanship and quality and especially the titanium have won me over again. They perform and hold up so well that for me it makes up for the Tribolube-71 filling (takes an ounce or $15 per 1st stage). Since @rsingler published his method of filling the environmental chamber using a syringe it's less of a mess and very effective. I hated that procedure, now I don't think about it (and it's only required every 3 years). More elaborate than other regs, but I don't spend time cleaning corrosion.

Kraken and Poseidon. Maybe in that order... Maybe not.

Lust is such a strong emotion :wink:

I’ve had and used pretty much all of them, at the moment it’s Zeagle turn again, FH 7 and F8.

Some regulator brands are easier to get parts for than others but all are possible.

About twenty years ago, we were excited -- "lust" is a bit much -- by the advent of the Poseidon Xstream, a somewhat smaller first stage than earlier models, one that initially used a ball bearing in a self-balancing "floating" seat, then later an industrial ruby, that would not require any weatherizing at all -- none of the either vodka-filled rubber caps or the messy ethanol / glycerin metal ones that required partial dismantling of a first stage and an IP reset, that had been a typical method for decades.

We were doing a good deal of cold water diving at the time, and I think that we both white-knuckled it the first time in Nanaimo, BC in Winter in around 6˚ C water, with those all-too naked Xstreams (though we did carry winterized ponies as well; not really that stupid); and while ice did form on both first stages, neither of us were faced with free-flows or any difficulty breathing, that had plagued some other divers that same day and had been all-too common to several other brands.

That was memorable; and rumor has it, that Poseidon is currently developing a turreted first stage -- and while I couldn't really give a rat's arse about that particular feature, I'd really like to take one apart.

Two decades out, I am still using Xstream first stages, often with Jetstreams for surf entries, both as primaries and as a component in Poseidon full face masks, along with their previous models, dating back to the 1970s, as ponies and stage bottles; and while I had been fortunate to try out most every brand that drew interest, over the years (though sadly, not Hotdive offered on Alibaba; I already know that I'm missing out), I still prefer the Swedes in the cold North, with my regulators set just this side of free-flow . . .

What about parts?
Good point. There are some online shops that sell kits for Scubapro and/or Atomic, but for other parts I find one needs friends to get parts for either brand. There are always shops that will help discretly. It was much harder with the D400, where one needs REALLY good friends to get those NLA parts... :wink:

I don't need or particulary want anything I don't already have, but I'd do a couple more of the old style Halcyon Auras before they made them as ugly as the south facing end of a north facing bulldog; I'd put money into surplus APEKS XL4s (I'm considering making those the primary default regs for everything); and another MK11 DIN if I happened across one in good condition.

I'm figuring out I don't really have interest in first stages outside the MK11 and MK17/Halcyon H50-D and all those are the same regs, at least until you get to the sealed chamber part.

I like the Atomic B2 and ST1, and may hang on to them as they're great, but I also value uniformity in the fleet so if a certain friend and his wife finally move on doing certification, he may talk me out of them...

Back
Top Bottom