What scooters do you own/use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So they were all 24 volt....good that solves that mystery...just Ebay BS...Black Cloud was the name of the dad/son scooter geeking service from "The Last Dive"...and yes the name fits as the thing had to go the shop as soon as I got it....then on a trip to the Dry Tortugas they changed generators while I was charging and one of the batteries popped, that was messy..but it still runs..would like to put the 200ft nose on it though. Any cheap way of beefing up the depth rating?

Mike (dagodiver over at TDS) has made up a batch of CNC-made kits to convert a Mako/Tekna/etc to an expedition-grade 600' scooter. Cost IIRC is about $1500 and they look beautiful.

Here is the thread at TDS, you'll have to register.

Not really cheap per se, but great value.

All the best, James

fdog, that link is private or something, does not work even for registered users. Could you copy and paste the in fo here etc--thanks.

N

Yes it worked for me also....BTW thanks for the info.....

Neat stuff. Now you've got me thinking. I've several submersible thruster motors with props, korts, etc. (they’re good to 2000 meters) and a couple of crates of control circuitry. The problem is that they need 120v DC main supply and both 12 and 24 volt for the control systems (we ran the sub off 24 truck batteries with 9 in each pod of 12 wired in series, the other 6 providing 12v and 24V with the two pods redundantly paralleled). If I built a fiberglass shell that two divers could lay themselves down upon that could hold 24 motorcycle batteries (in oil so there’s no pressure problem), one thruster port and one starboard, it should go like a bat out of hell. Maybe my first garage project when we get to Hawaii. Got to make it look like a manta ray.

I think if I give it any more thought, I may catch myself buying an X at some point in the future. They sound fantastic and I think I'd appreciate the 33lbs weight, and it looks really cool. I just have to get over the price, and save for awhile!

Dove with my Torpedo again today, without a harness... I definitely want something that is neutral in the water... the Torpedo is 2lbs negative and that I find very annoying.

Think I can get Florida VR to buy me one???? I'm a disabled diving Instructor and need one to perform my job! They bought me hand controls for my van...$750 ticket!. I think a scooter is a legit need

Joe

I have a question regarding these scooters. How fast can you guys equalize your ears if you are going deeper so fast?? Or do you only use the speed of the scooters while going perfectly horizontal? Also how do you know you are going perfectly horizontal if the water gets murky or you can not see anything like the bottom or a reef to judge your direction by?

Back
Top Bottom