What scooters do you own/use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuSexFulDiver:
I have a question regarding these scooters. How fast can you guys equalize your ears if you are going deeper so fast?? Or do you only use the speed of the scooters while going perfectly horizontal? Also how do you know you are going perfectly horizontal if the water gets murky or you can not see anything like the bottom or a reef to judge your direction by?

I've never used the power of a scooter to change depth. Usually on a local shore dive we will follow the bottom contour while descending, same on the return. It is important to make buoyancy adjustments while scootering or you will end up very negative, or positive when you get off the trigger.

Ears? Same as kick diving, early and often.

Depth and direction? just use your instruments. If the vis is really bad slow down, pretty simple common sense stuff.

Tobin

I see you are a SoCal diver, I live in the Venice/Mar Vista area and have dived at Veterans Park in Redondo. Do you know if divers use scooters at Veterans Park?

I'm not answering the Redondo question, but I had a chance to look at a mini-Gavin this weekend. NiMH battery, weight very similar to an X (I could use the tow cord as a shoulder strap and carry it). Doesn't have a trigger speed control (you control speed with prop pitch). I'm going to try hard to beg myself a trial of one to compare to the X. Weight is a HUGE issue for me, so these little, light scooters are all I'd ever consider.

cool_hardware52:
It happens :wink:

Tobin

And it will be happening a lot more very, very soon. :eyebrow:

---
Ken

Anyone had a chance to compare the X (Sierra) and N-19 in the water?

Would be interested to hear from those who have tried/used both.

TSandM:
I'm not answering the Redondo question, but I had a chance to look at a mini-Gavin this weekend. NiMH battery, weight very similar to an X (I could use the tow cord as a shoulder strap and carry it).

Anyone know what the burntimes look like on these? I'm wondering if they are similar to the X . . .

I used to own a Gavin. Dumped it and bought an X. I have the regular hull and the XL hull.

I luv my X.

MiniwankaJeffScooter.jpg

TSandM:
I'm not answering the Redondo question, but I had a chance to look at a mini-Gavin this weekend. NiMH battery, weight very similar to an X (I could use the tow cord as a shoulder strap and carry it). Doesn't have a trigger speed control (you control speed with prop pitch). I'm going to try hard to beg myself a trial of one to compare to the X. Weight is a HUGE issue for me, so these little, light scooters are all I'd ever consider.

I'd very curious to know the weight and burn duration of the Mini Gavin. An X scooter is around the 35-38 lb neighborhood. If the Mini is anything like the SS N-19 it will weigh in the 50 lb range? 50 is a lot more than 35/38. I can carry an X up a hill wearing full kit. Can't do that with a 70 lb scooter. 50 is almost the weight of a Mako (54lbs). I cannot carry a Mako with full kit up a hill, unless I really want to hurt myself + the shroud is too flexy.

I have to say that picking up my Gavin today was enough to make me think...why aren't I getting rid of this thing? Maybe, it's sentimentality. My Gavin was the big toy in late 90's.

X

p.s. nice scooter shot Jeff!

Owned a couple Gavins and a Mako. Used an SS. Own both long and short body X's.
I love 'em! Built great, take my abuse, and just keep on going! All that in a lightweight package that outperforms anything I've ever owned!

best,
brando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom