What scooters do you own/use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I'm not answering the Redondo question, but I had a chance to look at a mini-Gavin this weekend. NiMH battery, weight very similar to an X (I could use the tow cord as a shoulder strap and carry it). Doesn't have a trigger speed control (you control speed with prop pitch). I'm going to try hard to beg myself a trial of one to compare to the X. Weight is a HUGE issue for me, so these little, light scooters are all I'd ever consider.

The mini-G is fun. The standard body gavin is very good at going straight. With the mini-Gs you can do somersaults and tight turns much easier...

lamont:
The mini-G is fun. The standard body gavin is very good at going straight. With the mini-Gs you can do somersaults and tight turns much easier...

Runtime and dry weight if you know it... or a link with info. Gavin site says ridiculous burn times. 1.5/2 hr?

X

Mr.X:
Runtime and dry weight if you know it... or a link with info. Gavin site says ridiculous burn times. 1.5/2 hr?

X

I only played with it for a couple minutes. I think its supposed to have a 26Ah pack so probably 1.5 hrs.

The ridiculous burn time was probably the mini-mag (mini-magnum) which is a shortbody gavin packed up with NiMH batteries... I think the battery packs are so stupidly expensive that george just hasn't been making them for anyone though, although it was up on his site so presumably he made at least a prototype at one point...

lamont:
I only played with it for a couple minutes. I think its supposed to have a 26Ah pack so probably 1.5 hrs.

The ridiculous burn time was probably the mini-mag (mini-magnum) which is a shortbody gavin packed up with NiMH batteries... I think the battery packs are so stupidly expensive that george just hasn't been making them for anyone though, although it was up on his site so presumably he made at least a prototype at one point...

Thanks. 1.5 hours would be the equivalent of the Silent Submersion N-19. Perhaps, they are in the same weight category too?

There is also nothing quite like the Gavin Magnum. It's like a Polaris missle underwater and comes with a handcart and sherpa. :D

X

Mr.X:
Thanks. 1.5 hours would be the equivalent of the Silent Submersion N-19. Perhaps, they are in the same weight category too?

Its light enough its in the realm where it just doesn't matter. The 33Ah SLA standard bodies I can just barely get up onto my shoulder with a lot work and mental preparation before I do the lift. The 18/21Ah shortbodies I can throw up on my shoulder pretty easy but I definitely notice the weight. The mini-g I could just toss around without thinking about it... I could probably grab it like a barbell and do curls with it...

I have owned or ridden most every scooter ever sold commercially in the US and a few that were custom built one of a kind models.

I currently own a Silent Submersions UV18 and two Farallon MK III's and one Farallon MK II

For anyone not wanting to spend the thousands of dollars that the better rides run but want a scooter that they can ride for a lifetime I recommend the old Farallons. They were built like tanks, They can be purchased for a few hundred dollars and all the parts that usually wear out can still be purchased through regular parts houses (not farallon).

Resources still exist for the shaft seals, Bearings, Clips, pins, O-rings, etc. almost all parts used in these machines were stardard parts used in a multitude of applications and not propritary.

Motors can be rebuilt very reasonably if necessary

Modern Batteries power these machines much better than the factory specified batteries.

If anyone has any questions about getting a tired old Farallon up and running feel free to contact me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom