What the ?#$@ is the deal with LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba:
Catherine, I completely understand...Hawaii is unfortunately a different beast.....As for compressors...you looking for a portable, or a big guy? I jjust brought in a portable line, havent had a chance to upload to internet, and I happen to have a spare compressor(big one) sitting at the shop......The only thing is I think shipping might be a miserable thing to look at...Hope all is well!

As for the same old " buy your air" line......like hound said blah blah......Its those same LDSs that are driving people to LP and such....if they had good customer service and didnt try to sell everything at MSRP and such they wouldnt lose the business. The thing that gets me as those that dont even try to get the same price from the LDS or a close price, they are just fine with doing it at the computer. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but like shellback said.....sometimes things go bad and you get what you pay for....Im not trying to sway anything, I have an online store and a physical store like the others, granted Im alot newer, but as far as pricing, Im deadon on 99% of things....and I dont do millions of dollars a year on the internet like the ones mentioned.....:D So come on guys buy from me :wink: jk....but the thing that gets me about most stores is that they sell their prices way to high.....sending people online.....WAKEUP retailers!!! Price your instore merchandise to the internet....people will then come to you instead and you will get more business, because people DO want to buy local, buy from a person they see and talk to, someone that gives GOOD service, etc......Damn....I always get sucked into these talks :wink:

Man I wish you were in my area, I'd do business in your shop all the time.

shellbackdiver1:
I read the first page of post. I initially decided to read the thread thinking that maybe somebody is trying to give LP bad press because ST recently got some. Typically I ignore this type whine and cheese but every now and then I need to punish myself. I usually start to reply, get half finished with the post and then say "*&^^ it. Not worth my time". But this time I will finish and hit the "post quick reply"

I have used both of the mentioned internet companys and have received good and bad from both. Both have delayed my shipment by at least 2 weeks on certain orders due to certain excuses. Was pissed....no....I completely expected it cause I can't touch it, I can't see it, I can't try it, I can't see the eyes of the sales person, I can't see the good/bad housekeeping of the shop, I can't walk out of the store with it. And most importantly there are too many variables that I put my trust in. Humans make alot of mistakes. BUT I GET A CHEAPER PRICE.

Consumers are at risk when purchasing products on the internet. We certainly are a trusting people....we trust that the order person is going to correctly read my order and not make a mistake. We trust that the printer the person uses is going to print all fonts correctly so that when it is given to the stock person the proper size, color and model will be thrown into the basket. We trust that his aim is good and the product goes into the proper basket and not the basket that is going to "where ever". We trust that the person you packs the box puts all the items in the box. We trust that the person entering the shipping address doesn't mistake a 4 for a 9 or a 2 for 5 on the zip code. We trust that the credit card machine is working properly. We trust we the consumer, has paid our credit card on time so that it will not be rejected. (I say this cause my order was delayed and ST could not figure out why so they replied to me on the phone "wait, let me look into the rejected credit card pile". My card was not rejected). We trust that there is not a thunderstorm and DFW delaying cargo flights. We trust that our package is not going to end up in Adak, Alaska due to the misread zip code. We certainly are a trusting people when using the internet.

So if you did not properly prepare for your trip and order last minute items needed from the internet and then don't get them on time. YOUR FAULT.

If you order something then don't get it on time cause your credit card was rejected. YOUR FAULT.

If you order something and the wrong item came and you did not call the company to ensure accuracy prior to shipping. YOUR FAULT

If you did not fully read the entire web site including the fine print and something is wrong with your order. YOUR FAULT.

If you don't follow clearly written procedures and your order is incorrect. YOUR FAULT.

If you cannot touch it, feel it or try it and you receive it from and internet company then don't like it. YOUR FAULT

I am not sympathetic to internet buyers that complain about the service. Usually if the order is messed up it is due to our own fault and complete trusting of these people that we cannot see. IT IS ALL OUR FAULT.

Great post !!!!! I'm with you 100%. Might be one of the 50 best posts ever on SB.

Dive Right In Scuba:
The thing that gets me as those that dont even try to get the same price from the LDS or a close price, they are just fine with doing it at the computer.

Let me give you my perspective. I just don't like to play that game. If you (generically speaking) want to run an auction, run an auction. As far as I am concerned, you had a chance to post your best price. If I go to your site (again, generically speaking) and see xyz reg for $299 and LP has it for $229, I'm probably not going to see if you will match. This isn't a Mexican mercado where I expect to haggle. If you wanted to sell it for $229, you had every opportunity to list it for $229. Nobody twisted your arm (well, maybe the manufacturer, but not me) to list it for $299. I'm going to assume the price you put on the tag is the price you need to get. I don't like it when people are fishing in my wallet for what they can get. It feels like buying a new car. It doesn't matter what anyone else's price is, your best price is your best price, offer it upfront.

It also slows down the transaction, requiring me to send emails asking to price match and then awaiting a reply. I'm not sure how checkout would be done. Call on the phone? Not a chance. I may be shopping at 5am before going to work, or at midnight. Or even at work, where I can type in privacy but I don't really care to pick up the phone so everybody in the adjacent cubicles can listen to me discuss a scuba purchase. Phone calls are designed for 10 minute transactions. I like to work at my own pace. The shopping cart lets me, will you?

shellbackdiver1:
So if you did not properly prepare for your trip and order last minute items needed from the internet and then don't get them on time. YOUR FAULT.

Agreed.

If you order something then don't get it on time cause your credit card was rejected. YOUR FAULT.

Agreed.

If you order something and the wrong item came and you did not call the company to ensure accuracy prior to shipping. YOUR FAULT

Disagree. E-commerce has certain standards, and one of those is that the order is filled accurately when placed online. You don't call Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or any other online retailer when you place an order and you shouldn't have to for other e-commerce based retailers either. They are setup for online sales, and they should perform as such.

If you did not fully read the entire web site including the fine print and something is wrong with your order. YOUR FAULT.

Agreed, but websites should not be deceptive about it (leisure pro is not deceptive, IMO)

I am not sympathetic to internet buyers that complain about the service. Usually if the order is messed up it is due to our own fault and complete trusting of these people that we cannot see. IT IS ALL OUR FAULT.

Disagree. Just because these retailers are online does not vindicate them from any errors. We are in an age where e-commerce is fast taking over the market, and it is now standard practice to buy online. As such, e-retailers are expected to perform at the same standard as retailers with physical stores. The customer service of an online retailer should match or exceed that of any phyical store.

cummings66:
Uhm, no. easter is not a holiday I'd expect them to observe, not even close. I hate easter.

The Passover is special, it's important, it's real. It's not a holiday made up to sway a group of people. Read Exodus in the scripture if you really want to know what it's about.

IMO I respect a business that respects "real" holidays instead of the man made ones designed to sell goods or sway pagans. It's refreshing to see a company actually willing to lose money by being closed for a period of time. Rare to boot.

I'm not Jewish, but I've got friends that are and believe me, passover is very real to them. It's a serious event.

It's very unfortunate that someone who is not a Jew and says "Passover is special" would say "I hate easter." Easter is not a "man made" holiday. All Christians observe Easter as the day Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead after having been crucified. This is very real to them, just as Passover is very real to Jews, and, I might point out, to Christians as well. This too is based on scripture. Read the New Testament. Whether you personally believe this or not, you should be aware that it is very important to others. Respect that.

CaptPaul:
What's LP's price for air? You guys better start buying your own compressors from LP because if you keep this up there won't be any local dive shops to fill tanks, or they will have to charge $15 for an 80cf fill to stay in business. Won't that be nice?

Capt Paul, first off, welcome to Scubaboard since I noticed it's your first post.

I think you'll really like it here.

You asked about LP's price for air and buying our own compressors when the LDS's go out of business.

Like I said in an earlier post, many LDS's already match Leisure Pro's price. Mine does and I still get my air fills there.

I noticed that your profile says "Dive Shop Owner / Employee". Does your shop match Leisure Pro's price? or are you one of those shops that might be worried about going out of business because of LP?

ReefHound:
Let me give you my perspective. I just don't like to play that game. If you (generically speaking) want to run an auction, run an auction. As far as I am concerned, you had a chance to post your best price. If I go to your site (again, generically speaking) and see xyz reg for $299 and LP has it for $229, I'm probably not going to see if you will match. This isn't a Mexican mercado where I expect to haggle. If you wanted to sell it for $229, you had every opportunity to list it for $229. Nobody twisted your arm (well, maybe the manufacturer, but not me) to list it for $299. I'm going to assume the price you put on the tag is the price you need to get. I don't like it when people are fishing in my wallet for what they can get. It feels like buying a new car. It doesn't matter what anyone else's price is, your best price is your best price, offer it upfront.

It also slows down the transaction, requiring me to send emails asking to price match and then awaiting a reply. I'm not sure how checkout would be done. Call on the phone? Not a chance. I may be shopping at 5am before going to work, or at midnight. Or even at work, where I can type in privacy but I don't really care to pick up the phone so everybody in the adjacent cubicles can listen to me discuss a scuba purchase. Phone calls are designed for 10 minute transactions. I like to work at my own pace. The shopping cart lets me, will you?

To all SCUBA equipment retailers LDS or online, read this post carefully. THIS is your future customers! That is the business model that the younger generation will demand without exception. I'm 40 so I may not adhere to this 100% but I do agree with it.

ReefHound:

Sooo you wanna call me at 5 am and make a purchase? OK:coffee: Just joking hound...but I really see your point 100%....but with repect to cars, everyone takes a lower price, but its still a valid point!:) Of course you should work at your own pace, IM not trying to turn this into a buy at LDS vs online thread....My intention was that I couldnt understand why people would keep going back to a place that(using peoples own words): Scam, wrong items, used items, old out of date items, missing manuals/parts, lousy service, etc....granted alot of people are still hapy or have had 0 problems, but I dont understand how people can be complacent with that type of service...We are a service oriented society, people tip for good service: valet, restaurants, etc.....yet when you get bad service at such a place and keep returning is astounding to me.......If somebody did one of the things above in any type of business setting to me, I would never go back......Im not trying to put down LP in anyway so please dont take it as that, Im just trying to figure out how bad service keeps customers......Yes I know alot of you had no problems and thats great, but a great majority admits to, lets say...."trying to scam... but I will still buy from them"......This just doesnt make sense to me....To each his own.....I guess you just learn something new everyday.....Cheaper price always wins out.....Thats the way of America and how the rest of the world is now prospering:popcorn:

Excellent post RH. I agree completely. It's a pain in the a&s to have to haggle over prices. List your best price, and I will shop accordingly.

jpsexton:
To all SCUBA equipment retailers LDS or online, read this post carefully. THIS is your future customers! That is the business model that the younger generation will demand without exception. I'm 40 so I may not adhere to this 100% I do agree with it.

I agree with it to, but I have 3 people on staff in my store, I dont have the money to have a staff watch the internet all day to see the best price and match it first or sell it that way, Im sorry, but I just cant afford to do that....Im not knocking anyones business model, I think they did something great to capture the market, I wish I could have done it......

We will not go out of business because of LPs prices stealing our customers, and I will not go out of business tryin to match their prices if I cant afford to do so. We do offer our best price, and try to go the extra distance to make a friend, not just a customer.....

Back
Top Bottom