what was the hardest in fundies to learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keeping position and keeping still in the water were the things that frustrated me the most during class. Those 2 (which really is a combination of trim, buoyancy and back kick) in turn took away attention from the Team aspect. But you'll get it - no worries.

Bob has a very good point about leaving class with the tools to improve.

Henrik

nvrmind

Last edited:
Pre-F : V-drill, gave me a lot of troubles ! I'm glad I practiced. I'm still not good, but dont worry about it anymore. Helicoptere turn was impossible.
During class: back-kick was the worse - still bad in doubles
Post class: ascent (single or doubles same sh$t, still looking where this famous break is, especially from 20 to 10ft) Maybe need to change the break pads.

People who go into a Fundies class with the goal of a "pass" are rather missing the point ... if you manage to pass on the initial attempt then you probably didn't need the class. The objective is to identify where your weaknesses are and learn how to turn them into strengths ... the rest is up to you ...

I've been mentoring a fundies student who is taking the course this weekend and it'll be highly educational (for me) to see how it all goes.

Given that its a split course with two weekends and three weeks in between i think there's a reasonably high likelihood of a pass, but he definitely still needs the course going into the first weekend. It'll be interesting to see some of the lightbulbs going on that I haven't been able to turn on....

During class: Pool: The swim stuff (I hate swimming, that's why I dive).
In the ocean: Back kick. Mine is still ugly, but it does generally get me moving backwards ... when I focus :wink:

The shared air ascent. The reason is that in order to do a proper shared air ascent, you AND your team member have to both be able to control your ascent such that both of you can hit your stops and hold your stops. Thus, the share air ascent requires the mastery of a combination of fundies skills, including good buoyancy control and a working back kick.

I've been mentoring a fundies student who is taking the course this weekend and it'll be highly educational (for me) to see how it all goes.

Given that its a split course with two weekends and three weeks in between i think there's a reasonably high likelihood of a pass, but he definitely still needs the course going into the first weekend. It'll be interesting to see some of the lightbulbs going on that I haven't been able to turn on....

That's an outstanding approach to a class like Fundies ... giving the student some "practice time" between beginning and end.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For sure the hardest thing was learning how to be a true teammate and be patient with others underwater. Great lesson in the end though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom