Whats the difference in Dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my very limited experience I have not seen saturation algorithm play an appreciable role in the dive experience, but usability/readability can (don't want to be squinting at the display in dim light pushing buttons on the unit trying to find the piece of information you want).

As a new diver with older eyes, readability was a key factor for me so I went with a wrist mount with a large display (Mares Nemo Wide). After some time with it there are other readability/usability factors that I would consider (not that the Mares is necessarily better or worse, just things I know now to consider).

What information do I want readily available versus having to dig for? Dive computers have all sorts of information available in them with limited screen real estate to display that information, so each will default to having some information on the default screen and other information that you have to press buttons to see (e.g. dive time, no deco time, current depth, max depth, water temperature, ascent rate, safety stop time, dive type (gas mix, fresh or salt) etc., plus air pressure and consumption info in air integrated models). On any of these screens some of this information will be large and prominent, other will be tucked away in a corner of the display. What do you want where and does the model under consideration put it where you want it.

Many computers are still using alpha-numeric (7-segment) displays. These use multiple units of seven bars arranged like a figure-8. Put four of these in a row and you've got a standard digital hours:minutes digital watch display. Most low-end dive computers use multiple 7-segment displays for the screen. These are good at displaying numbers, not so good at letters or figures (e.g. can't distinguish between an upper-case D or O or the number 0. My Mares uses these and it can be difficult to discern what the text is that the unit is trying to display. Newer, more expensive models use dot-matrix, like a monochrome computer display. There is lots of flexibility in what you can display with these, including numbers, letters, and pictures. Best visibility is achieved with a color dot-matrix display, but those are generally only found in the $1000+ models (although I've seen the Mares Icon HD available for under $500 in the version that is NOT upgradable to air integrated).

True cost. As a diver starting out in the 21st century, I'm going with a computer log book, synced to my phone in case any dive operator wants to see my record, rather than paper (paper is so last century). Many bottom-end computers don't have the capability to computer sync, and most (all?) mid-range computers require that you shell out around $100 for a USB cable that costs $1.29 (roughly) to manufacture. You can't use an off-the-shelf USB cable since the computer connectors are proprietary. True, the USB standard isn't designed for underwater use, and the computer manufacturers are entitled to recoup their engineering costs for developing and implementing USB connectors that can be submerged, but it's still $100 for a USB cable. Be sure to figure in all costs, not just unit purchase price, when comparison shopping.

If price were not an issue I'd get a color dot-matrix hoseless air integrated wrist unit. I'd also buy from a LDS where I could try out the unit. Alas, money is an issue for me. At present I don't see a hoseless air integrated wrist model that I like enough to replace my Nemo Wide so I'm waiting. That was my plan from the get-go: buy something affordable that met my short-term needs (readable, wrist mount, syncs with the desktop software I use (MacDive), Nitrox compatible) and use that while I'm finding out if diving is something I think I'll be doing for years and what are the features I really want on my optimal computer.

I think the only difference between the Epic and Elite T3 is that the T3 has a freediving setting.

Epic has a freedive mode as well. Functionally they both are extremely similar, see the comparison chart here:

http://diveaeris.com/PDF/computer_comparison.pdf

The main difference is the form-factor. The Epic is a dedicated wrist unit with watch functions where the Elite is a Dive PC only in puck form that can be installed in a wrist boot, gauge console or standalone housing with retractor. The Epic will be lower profile but likely at the expense of a smaller display - basically a big watch. The Elite should be easier to read but more like wearing a can of catfood on your wrist

The question posed in the thread topic is a big akin to "What's the difference in cars"... lots of variables. For my $0.02, it doesn't matter so long as my primary and back-up are running the same algorithm and my buddy is using the same algorithm as well.

In the spring Scubapro is coming out with the "Meridian" dive computer watch. It looks awesome. It also has SCUBA, Apnea and gauge modes. It will have what they call an easily replaceable battery. The case is marine grade Stainless Steel. Another cool feature (not for Floridians necessarily) is the altitude warning after you have been diving and are approaching an altitude that is incompatible with your saturation status. It does nitrox up to 100%. Has back light. Looks like a really good dive watch. Only thing for me is the lack of air integration. retail will be $649. I am getting one.

The Epic will be lower profile but likely at the expense of a smaller display - basically a big watch. The Elite should be easier to read but more like wearing a can of catfood on your wrist

The Epic has an extremely well defined display. The numbers are slightly smaller but the screen is easier to read vs. my Atmos II. The contrast is better and at night I can see the display easily without using the built in light.

I just started diving this summer and am starting to buy my own equipment instead of renting it from my dive instructors shop, I want to get a Dive computer watch and the more I research the more I don’t know what I want. Right now I am looking at the Oceanic Atom 3.0 Oceanic Veo3.0 or the Aeris Elite
And was wondering if any one had an preference or thoughts :D

Hi carissaw,

The Oceanic Veo 3.0 and Atom 3.0 have the Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) and the Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis) algorithms. With the conservative factors, the Pelagic Z+ algorithm can be made to fairly closely mimic any of the available, more conservative, algorithms in NDL time if that is what you want to do. The Aeris Elite does not have this feature. The Oceanic VT 4.1 does have dual algorithm. Others have pointed out that the Atom and Elite, as well as the VT are wireless, air integrated whereas the Veo is not air integrated.

I dive an Oceanic VT3 and a Geo 2.0, everyone else in my family dives a Pro Plus 2. We use the DSAT algorithm.

Good luck and good diving,

Craig

The aeris computers although more liberal has a setting that will switch it to a more conservative mode.

Another thing i have found is that if you are planning on ging into the deco world you may want to look at the deepest deco stop the computer will do. many i have found is 60 ft or less. othres wil support stops deeper thatn the 60 ft.

With respect to user replaceable batteries try to learn what that entails. Some like my Aeris ATMOS-2 use a hatch design that is fairly easy to mess up on. The result can be a flood. I don't know if they have changed this on the newer models but it's worth understanding.

Back
Top Bottom