Whats the difference in Dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used an Oceanic Geo 1.0 for a few years now and love it. I definitely recommend a wrist mount. It allows me to hold the anchor line with my left arm that has the computer on it and use my right hand to deflate my BC on ascents.

Im now replacing the Geo with an OC1 but thats only because I want an air integration and the OC1 is BADASS!

I had contemplated selling the Geo but it still works great. Perhaps I'll attatch it to my BC or tank and use it as a backup.

Oceanic and Aeris computers are both made by the same company ... Pelagic ... and use similar algorithms. Generally speaking, their algorithms are what divers would consider "liberal" ... meaning that they'll allow you more bottom time relative to your no-decompression limit than more "conservative" computers like Suunto or Uwatec.

Without going into the complexities of the math, or why different computers choose different algorithms, all that really means to you is to decide which is more important to you as a diver ... getting more bottom time or giving yourself more of a safety margin against potential decompression illness. Although all dive computers are relatively safe in that respect, it's up to you to decide how safe is safe enough.

(Grateful Diver)

I added the bold emphasis. Maybe I'm reading more into it than you intend, Bob, but it seems like the bold part of that statement is skewed toward "these ones are safer." That is, that it's a choice between bottom time and safety.

I think it's worth pointing out that the algorithms differ in the data that they're based on. The DSAT algorithm is based on data consisting primarily of no-deco, multilevel, repetitive dives at sea level, while the Buhlmann algorithm is based on data consisting primarily of deep repetitive cold-water dives at altitude. So where and what type of diving the poster plans to do may be a factor also.

kari

I just started diving this summer and am starting to buy my own equipment instead of renting it from my dive instructors shop, I want to get a Dive computer watch and the more I research the more I don’t know what I want. Right now I am looking at the Oceanic Atom 3.0 Oceanic Veo3.0 or the Aeris Elite
And was wondering if any one had an preference or thoughts :D

Pssst... I have a brand new Liquivision Xeo for sale. Probably more computer than you will EVER need, so don't worry about not being able to grow with it. The display is also gorgeous. $800 shipped to your door.

I went looking around when I bought mine. Found a Hollis DG-02 at my LDS for $280. After 30+ dives with it, I can tell you I made the right call. Although some people say you should never buy a single button dive computer, I love my Hollis. It's a great computer, especially at that price. It's an air/nitrox (21-50%) computer, the displays are simple and intuitive, it's very easy to read, it auto-compensates for altitude, it has easily readable bar graphs (tissue loading, o2 accumulation, and an ascent indicator), and gives all the standard readouts you get from any computer. No fly time, desat time, etc. It can also store up to 24 dives in the log function. Anyway, it's a good computer to consider and it will stay with you as you advance your diving career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom