Whats wrong with DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD, as I said, I don't know - because I haven't persued it.

A FOIA would turn over the information on ownership and discussions held, however. Such a request is not hard to file, nor expensive. In fact, its free (well, ok, other than the time to prepare it and the stamps to mail it.)

If/when I decide that its worth chasing and causing trouble for the people involved, I might go after this information. Or I might not. But the fact is, I or anyone else can any time they'd like.

O-ring once bubbled...
And last I heard the families of the victims of the Edmund Fitzgerald tragedy had diving on that wreck prohibited. Why isn't anyone attacking them for the same reasons? Sometimes you can't dive wherever you want, and you just have to deal with it.

I saw something on TV that said that the bodies of the crew have been preserved by the cold temperature and low oxygen of the lake bottom. Someone had photographed some of the bodies and wanted to publish the photos. That is why the relatives are upset. Until the bodies are recovered, the Edmund Fitz will be regarded by them as the tomb of their loved ones and not just a wreck.

Spectre once bubbled...

If you don't know if your arguments apply to the situation... why do you keep making them?
So we all have a good reason to drink

If you don't know if your arguments apply to the situation... why do you keep making them?

Whether the state owns the land is not germane to the point under discussion and which was raised by OBG (and myself) - that GUE, a cave cert agency, has actually worked to keep sites CLOSED to the general cave diving population and RESTRICT access, while NACD and NSS/CDS (cave diving cert orgs) have done exactly the opposite.

Whether there was a violation of Florida law involved in their efforts is simply not material to the central point under debate. It may be an interesting sidebar in illustration of the lengths to which people might have gone, but it does not speak to the core of the issue.

(I thought folks preferred to keep the central point the focus of a debate around here? Yeah, I know, its the Internet.)

Genesis once bubbled...
(I thought folks preferred to keep the central point the focus of a debate around here? Yeah, I know, its the Internet.)

Ok... lets review then.

What's wrong with DIR is that GUE is closing access to divers because the WKPP did the leg work to get into Wakulla?

thanks. makes perfect sense.

OK, I gotta ask a question in this one, its too hard to refrain:

Name ONE site that WAS open, but has now been closed as a direct result of the actions of GUE?

Dave

Let's see....

We have one org that does nothing for its "members" access to caves to dive, and there are plenty of rumors that they have lobbied AGAINST access - not only for existing restricted sites, but for proposed opening of sites and maintaining access to existing sites.

We have another org that does a lot (provably so) for its "members" access to caves to dive.

Now if you are a cave diver, which one woudl you want to belong to?

Sounds like a difficult decision to me :wink:

So......
Genesis once bubbled...
there are plenty of rumors that they have lobbied AGAINST access
But earlier:
GUE, a cave cert agency, has actually worked to keep sites CLOSED to the general cave diving population and RESTRICT access, while NACD and NSS/CDS (cave diving cert orgs) have done exactly the opposite.

"Has Actually", as opposed to "The rumor is"

keep going.....

"Has Actually", as opposed to "The rumor is"

They have actually worked to keep existing closed sites closed (Wakulla, for example.)

GI has ranted so often about closing sites to anyone who doesn't dive "his way" that it is only reasonable to expect that such rants have been aired in more places than on Quest.

You only need one documentable case to prove the claim - which we have, right in everyone's face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom