What's your favorite computor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
And why? What do you consider it's most useful feature(s)? And while we're at it, how about your favorite dive watch?

So far, I'm liking the Cochran comps, but don't have one yet, maybe tomorrow! Watch? Well that would be the Suunto D3. Not too stylish, but kinda cool. ...N

Are you looking for a general consensus? Or do you want to find out the favorite for a given type of diving?

But, my Suunto Vyper and my Suunto Vytec both do the job for most of the diving I've done.

Just interested in what people like and the most useful features. Seems like there are a staggering array of tools (toys?!) for us to play with... ...N

I've never owned one but I really like the basic Cochran Commander - user replaceable battery, easy to use, big display. It makes a great recreational computer or bottom timer. I would avoid the multiple gas models as I do not like Cochran's automatic gas switching feature (I used to have a Gemini).

I'm currently using an Oceanic Atom. I'll need a few more dives with it to be able to evaluate it properly.

scubasean:
Are you looking for a general consensus? Or do you want to find out the favorite for a given type of diving?

But, my Suunto Vyper and my Suunto Vytec both do the job for most of the diving I've done.
I have heard that Suunto can be rather conservative. The people I heard it from dive warm, wrecks, and a variety of depths and times.
Most of their dive sites are in the 30 meter range, they often dive EANx. Not sure whether that has anything to do with their experience, but it seemed a concensus that a diver using a Suunto would often bring them up when they still had around five minutes left to dive.
If that information isn't enough to determine the reason for their experiences, what other questions should I ask?
**Leadweight posted the paragraph below on another thread, maybe the SI is the short bottom time hangup? Could there be others?
"...Due to its propensity to produce very short bottom times when surface intervals are less than 90 minutes, the very popular Suunto Vyper, and other Suunto computers, do not interest me. They are, however, very well made and reliable."

Tom

I'm using a Suunto cobra these days. Since I'm an old fart I appreciate the conservative nature of it. In face I usually use EAN 32 an leave the computer set at 21. Another safety margin.

No trips to the recompression chamber yet......

*fingers crossed*

suunto cobra, i got it because its conservitive. i can live with missing like 5 min a dive if it saves me a trip to the chamber.

Fly N Dive:
suunto cobra, i got it because its conservitive. i can live with missing like 5 min a dive if it saves me a trip to the chamber.
Not against the conservatism for its own sake, the complaints from diving buddies is the main problem. That is in fact how the warning was stated something like, 'Your diving buddies will hate you after several foreshortened dives.'
Anyway, further reading and your answers give me the information that I was looking for, it is a real situation, not just one groups belief.

Tom

Tusa Hunter is a good dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom