Where do I want my gauges, computer, etc?

What Configuration for a new Rec Diver?

• SPG, Wrist Computer, Wrist/bungee/lanyard Compass

Votes: 50 65.8%
  • SPG / Depth Gauge Console, Wrist Computer, Wrist/bungee/lanyard Compass

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • SPG/ Depth / Compass Console, Wrist Computer

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • 3 gauge console (SPG, Computer, Compass)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first setup:
wrist mount computer, SPG clipped to chest D-ring and rarely used a compass, but when I carry one I have it wrist mount also.
I dont like consoles or integrated units or retractable things, or too much junk hanging off me. The more secure it is the better.

I want them on me. When I leave them on the boat it makes the dive planning more difficult.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2013 at 01:48 PM ----------

The only important thing you can leave behind is a wrist computer/bottom timer. So before and after your dives just buckle it to a d-ring on your harness.

I want them on me. When I leave them on the boat it makes the dive planning more difficult.

bahahaha

Answered the poll, I like my computer on my wrist, compass on a right chest Dring and old brass and glass Dring bottom left (on a retractor-don't hate me).

Non AI computer on my right wrist. Watch (and dry suit dump valve) on the left. Then a triple console that is clipped off.

The thing to watch out for is having a suitable hose on the triple console to make the compas useable. If it is too short you can't use the compass, and if it is too long you end up quickly damaging the console.

Jon T

Edited to add: and a set of plastic deco tables in my BCD pocket.

I dove without my console for the first time this weekend. I absolutely LOVED it. I got a naked SPG on a 24" hose in which I zip tied a clip to and put on my left strap d-ring. Bungee compass on my left wrist and computer on my right. I didn't take my backup computer because I haven't figured out where I want it yet, but I did get a wrist mount for it.

Having my compass on my wrist was awesome, previously I'd have to unclip my console to use my compass and then struggle to clip it back when done. I hated using it because it wasn't convenient.

The SPG was easier to look at near my bc inflator. It was 12 inches from my face and I didn't have to reach for it and struggle to look down at it.

I felt like I has less clutter (got rid of a longer dangling hose) and everything was easier to access and use. Being able to look at a compass at any moment on my wrist was liberating.

SPG on bottom left d-ring
Wrist mount compass on right wrist
Dive computer on left wrist

Love the SPG by itself, less volume, less drag, more comfort. The computer and compass are wrist mounted for easy access. I don't like having to unclip anything that I am constantly checking. I will get a backup bottom timer/depth gauge wristwatch as a backup in case the computer fails.

EDIT: Oh and if I ever have an extra $450 to drop I will get integrated air...

Started with the 3-in-1 console,

moved away after 20 dives...

Now i have:
SPG clipped of on left hip
Compass on left wrist
Computer on right wrist

Trying to figure out my configuration being not very experienced, I would like to possibly do it right the first time...

Saltwater diving mostly - Spearfishing

I answered #1, but as a wreck diver I actually keep my compass bungied to my snorkel, in a box at home in my basement.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 09:47 PM ----------

Isn't "after you leave the boat" a bit late to be planning your dive?

:d

True story: Several years ago, I planned a dive to 200ft on the San Francisco Maru via V-planner. I configured my computer for the right gas, etc, checked my backup, confirmed the table I had written on my wrist slate, listened to the briefing, etc. I jumped off the back of the Truk Odyssey and went down the line. Got to the deck at 165ft, looked at my left wrist, then my right, and realized that my computer, my backup, and my wrist slate were all securely fastened to my manifold. Took me more than few minutes to get them off. After the dive, everyone was asking me why I bothered to do valve drills when I got to depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom