where to buy a compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R:
But can that compressor pump the offical Pufferfish Air standards?

Yup, Jordair usually guarantees their compressors meet CSA Z180.1-00 standards at the time of sale.

Just for your info there is a new kid on the Z180 accredited laboratory block called RPC (Research and Productivity Council) who have the best price on testing, far cheaper than Maxxam.

http://www.rpc.ca/breath.html

Fred Harley specifically services and builds Bauer compressors and Ed B uses an import none Bauer block from Texas, hence the cheaper price, but I did hear that Ed is trying to rep for Jordair. Ed doesn't deal with dive shops that much because he has no used compressors to sell, just new units and no sensible dive shop in todays market would purchase a new unit. Dan Humble at Dive teck just purchased a used newer Bauer K16 compressor from Harley . As for experience Fred's been doing it for 35 years and I beleave Ed 10 years. Fred Currently has 12 fully operational used k15 compressors in his stock. I would also like to point out that Fred Harley in 1976 began the very first OUC air testing program in Canada for scuba shops. Fred was the vice chairman of OUC back when it began, today OUC is nothing, they no longer have an office and just have a woman answereing calls out of a production company down the hall from were they used to reside. A while back some one asked about those little sewing machine Max air compressors, be warned those little sewing machines have a Carbon third stage piston ring that tends to prematurely break down because they have no oil pump and the rpm is to high. eventually causing the compressor to loose it filling capabilities.

undercurrents:
Fred Harley specifically services and builds Bauer compressors and Ed B uses an import none Bauer block from Texas, hence the cheaper price, but I did hear that Ed is trying to rep for Jordair. Ed doesn't deal with dive shops that much because he has no used compressors to sell, just new units and no sensible dive shop in todays market would purchase a new unit. Dan Humble at Dive teck just purchased a used newer Bauer K16 compressor from Harley . As for experience Fred's been doing it for 35 years and I beleave Ed 10 years. Fred Currently has 12 fully operational used k15 compressors in his stock. I would also like to point out that Fred Harley in 1976 began the very first OUC air testing program in Canada for scuba shops. Fred was the vice chairman of OUC back when it began, today OUC is nothing, they no longer have an office and just have a woman answereing calls out of a production company down the hall from were they used to reside. A while back some one asked about those little sewing machine Max air compressors, be warned those little sewing machines have a Carbon third stage piston ring that tends to prematurely break down because they have no oil pump and the rpm is to high. eventually causing the compressor to loose it filling capabilities.

Interesting first post. Obviously you know Fred quite well.

Ed Butski is now an independent Canadian Jordair representative and sells new and used Bauer compressors coast to coast.

Ed sells mainly commercial low pressure compressors,and thats were most of his business is along with what ever hydro testing he does, and once in a while he sells and service Hp systems, being a Jordair rep means frig all when the market is dead.

Have a pleasant experience.

Undercurrents

Tom R:
Not from the quote I got last week from them they are at the same price, OUC members get the best price. From OUC
Hi Tom,
I know your just joking but lots of others might not. Can you please explain to me how the OUC tests for Hydrocarbons? Why is it that everyone else has a flow over a filter for a period of 10 to 20 minutes, if you can just put a little bit of air into a pony bottle and get valid results? Did the OUC get a methanizer for their GC?
Lets use a proper lab!
Mark

There's the first mistake most compressor owners make, you don't test from the bottles, you test your air directly off the compressor.

Undercurrents

Mark How is it going; I see your distain for the OUC is as strong as ever, but we flogged this to death must have been what 18 months ago at least? For the 10 members still not over on other boards seeing what OFWF are doing, Do we really want to rehash this here is the link http://www.scubaboard.com/t27108-.html

So if you want higher standards Mark, go after the LDS that do not test at all, you use them and you know who they are. Do we need to have this argument yet again right at the near begging of the season in Ontario.

Come on dude you know that the 10 people still active in this forum don’t really care anyway on air standards even less if they can get it cheaper, I remember working late one night and one of your club members when they found out the fill was a whole dollar less 40 KM’s away he left to go get it and guess what that station didn’t use Maxxam either. Seems like a double standard dude, what do you think?

dennisgrimm:
Hey everyone,

Last year I moved to Kapuskasing Ontario from Vancouver and do not know very much about the Ontario diving scene.

Is there anywhere in Ontario I could buy a 3.5cfm portable scuba compressor? I know where to buy them over the net. I just want to aviod paying brokerage and shipping if I can drive and pick one up. I go on road trips occasionally and am willing to drive a long ways to get one.

Thanks
I would try calling some fire departments they are all upgrading to 6000psi compressors, here in the states they are getting homeland security grants for new equipment. I bought a mako/bauer 3 months ago from a fire department at a killer price.
Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom