Where to stay/certify on Utila..going SOON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kurty

New
Reaction score
My friend & I are going to Utila in a few weeks for about 10 days, and would appreciate advice on where to stay and certify. We would like a place that is
about middle of the road in price, and get a cabana or room w/ private bath & AC.

A place where we can walk or bike to town would be nice. We are in late 40's, and dont have an urge to be around a bunch of students or late night partiers. Since we will both be taking course, a place with good equipment and training is important.

A place where we get a discount or free rooms while taking course is preferable.

I would appreciate any advice about where (and where NOT to stay)
Time is of the essence for us as we need to book soon.
Thanks in advance!

Ive done my own research into this same type of questioning, and have come up with 3 choices.
1. Utila Dive Centre, which offers free accomadations with any course at the mango inn.
2. Bay Island Dive college, but without the free accomadations
3. Deep blue, which many a person on here has raved about. There off the hip strip but still within walking distance if the mood strikes.
Ive gotten alot of info from www.aboututila.com and this thread.
good luck and enjoy

Hi,
I work for Cross Creek Dive Center.
You can get a variety of accomodation on the island, I suggest you look at Rubis Inn, Colibri Hill and Roses Hotel as being a bit nicer than the usual backpacker type of accomodation. If you want to know what we have in the way of facilities pls personal message me and I will be happy to give you more information.
www.aboututila.com is a good site for general information on Utila.
I hope you enjoy your trip to the island... quick tip, dont bring Mastercard Credit Cards, Visa works better. You can pay for your dive courses in American Express US Dollar travellers cheques at the two shops I have worked for here.
Regards
Simon

I'm here right now....will be for awhile longer. I've been staying with my wife at the Hotel Rose, directly across the street from Deep Blue Divers. We come to Utila frequently. The best advise I can give you is to come to the island go to the hotel Rose and spend one night. Then check out the dive ops...they are all in walking distance. They all have their varying appeal.

Regards,

Hi Cudabait,

What is happening on Utila at the moment any whale sharks yet, remember watch out for that barracuda might still be there waiting for sweet revence because of that headache you gave it.

Anyone know anything about the Relax Inn or Freddy's on Utila? Those 2 and Rubi's sound appealing right now, but we'll probably decide when we get there this summer.

Do you want to know what is happening in the Utila waters, check out DeepBlueDivers blog here: http://www.deepblueutila.com/blog/home/

There are 20 of us heading to stay with Deep Blue Resort April 22-29, and so far we have 14 more staying April 15-22. I along with ZDiva are fortunate to be able to do both weeks right in the prime of Whale Shark season/research. If any one is interested in filling up any of the last 6 spots, let me know.

Okidoki,

We were talking about you hyesterday, Hans was asking about you. The whale sharks have been around now for the past week. Regular sightings every day by most operators. LaCuda and I wiil be here for another week, diving with a group of friends from Houston.

i agree with what cudabait said, wander around and find what is best for you. keep in mind that accomoations that are included with courses are dorm style, not really what you are looking for. as well most places will offer either free accomodation or 2 free fun dives, and i reccomend taking the dives. as for places to stay roses hotel is very nice as well as rubi's and the cabanas at jade seahorse.
good luck
cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom