Where to stay/certify on Utila..going SOON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Hopefulist,

To help your husbands' peace of mind, check out your cellphone service. Honduras does have cell service now & we've had guests here with Sprint PCS & another carrier (sorry can't remember which one) who had an 'International Plan' on their US cellphone who were able to send & receive calls here. I have no idea what roaming charges they may have incurred, so you might want to refrain from making calls willy nilly, but in an emergency I know it must have been a great comfort to know the family could reach them.

I'll look into it - I already have our itinerary typed up with the Spanish school and hotel numbers and instructions for international calls on it. It's a moot point anyway - NOTHING IS GOING TO GO WRONG THIS TRIP! :)

I just returned from Utila a few days ago.

I had perfect service there with Cingular. As Cingular is GSM, and so is T-Mobile, I assume both will work well. I am not sure about Sprint and Verizon, which are CDMA. (I believe.)

I had a good experience with BICD (college of diving) and I stayed at the Colibri. The bar at the Colibri, run by Kathy and Mandy, is great-- mostly due to the owners. Just a few people hanging around a tree. . .

You must see the treehouse at the Jade Seahorse. It is Gaudi in an Ewok village on acid. I don't know what else to say.

One little tip that may help if you are travelling from La Ceiba, and if Danito is still running: Danito runs the Guanaja Express from the Gran Marina dock at 2:30 pm for 10.50 USD to Utila. It is a high speed boat and make the trip in 40 minutes. If you happen to be between the two ferry times, and not taking a plane, this may be the way to go. We missed Danito, unfortunately. . . As of when I left the ferry was 300 lemps round trip.

Have fun!

Loved Cross Creek and UDC. There are other great places in Utila and you would probably find most of them to be good choices. Check my recent travel report at http://scuba.royalcs.com/utila for lots of info on the area as well.

I'm gonna keep my summary very brief:

Stayed at Colibri Hill resort: www.colibri-resort.com - Excellent!

Dived with DeepBlue: www.deepblueutila.com - Superb, wouldn't dive with any other operation on the island....and they have the best whale shark captain on the Island -respect to Gringo!!

Social life? Dived four times a day, ate then slept - that's what I was there for ;o)

If you wanna see what the diving is like, check out my vid on www.myspace.com/shurford

PS - bring some kick-*** sand fly repellant - but really!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom