Where to stay/certify on Utila..going SOON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cndngal - Can you tell me anything about the variety of options at Rubi's? They don't have a website and I'm having trouble getting feedback from them.

Thanks for writing- Hows the weather? We are due to arrive next weekend and stay at Deep Blue for a week, then into town. Thinking about hotel Colibri but will check out
Rose Hotel. Thanks to all for replies.

Hi Cudabait

I am looking forward to do some diving real soon but we cant decide where to go, going to London dive show in April maybe get some ideas overthere. Well greeting to la Cuda, Hans and the rest of the clan.

From memory Rubis have rooms with double or twin beds, hot water and seaside location for around 18 to 25 US per night. Bed & Breakfast is not an option here or at most hotels (not resorts) on Utila.
Simon

hello again
rubis has nice beachfront hotel from 18 and up. you can have a double bed or a room with two beds. hot showers as well as the option of either a fan or a/c. bayview is the same set up on the beach and quite nice as well. if you need help making arrangments at a hotel feel free to pm me with exactly what you are looking for and the dates and i will see what i can do for you.
cheers

Thanks, cndngal. I like the idea of just scoping dive shops and lodging options out when we get there, but this part of the trip I'll be with my husband and he's kind of a "know where you're going" sort of a guy. Also, last year one of our sons was in a serious car accident while we were in Honduras and we didn't find out about the accident till a day and a half after it happened when the electricity was up in Copán Ruinas and we checked our email. This time we need to be more "trackable" for our family's peace of mind.

I think we'll be happy whatever we choose, but I think we'll probably try to book ahead at Rubi's or Freddy's and just stick for the week we're there. Do you have a strong feeling that one is better than the other (cost isn't different enough to matter)? I'm still fishing for tips on dive shops, too, if a combination of dive shop and lodging option fits well proximity-wise.

both are good. freddy's is way at one end of town, which means quieter but more of a trek for some of the shops whereas rubi's is more central.
cheers

Hi,
maybe you should read chuck41's trip report for Utila. He has a thread started about it on SB.
Simon

Hola Kurty,

In terms of where to stay it all depends on the budget. I find Mango Inn and Jade seahorse really nice options. Other cheaper options may be Rose or Margaritaville.

In terms of where to certify I would recommend the following three:

1) College of Diving - Did AOW with them and I have been diving with them ever since. Very profesional and helpfull.
2) Utila Dive Center - Did OW with them. Lots of fun and good operation. I feel they cater very well to new divers.
3) Deep Blue - Nicely run operation.

The above are mentioned in no specific order. Go in, visit all three and where you feel comfortable get certified.

All are very profesional shops.

....sorry forgot to mention cross creek. I have dived with them as well and they have a nice operation going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom