Where to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, knowing from the forum I'd better not mess that BDA's pier, what to do?
Last time I was there I did the same third as you, park off the roundabout, and go in. We had an angry guy yell at us not to us the pier. I just flipped him the bird and we went in. :D

Seriously, what are they going to do to you; take away your birthday?

I've only stayed at Sanddollar but I really liked it. Our unit was really nice, comfy beds, had all kitchen stuff, plenty of parking, AC worked very well, could get tanks whenever we wanted, excellent house reef, central to everywhere...They even had a TV and some good movies if we wanted to watch it. Very nice staff for the condos and the dive shop.

Ron … was the restaurant operating when you were at Den Laman? It was not when we stayed there. I would go back and recommend it but not sure how the restaurant impacts the ambiance (especially late at night).

Also, thanks for the info on the dive Op. We had good luck with them but that was in Nov 2012 before things changed.

Also IIRC San Dollar lost their dive op during a Hurricane some time ago and never rebuilt it - part of the bldg and other bits are still there - sort of.

When we were there, the restaurant was still closed, so it had no impact on us.

We would use BDA again because we liked the reef and BDA's (dock) entrance to it.

Richard mentioned that BDA rents their dock. In fact, I'm pretty sure that not only do they rent it, but they rent it from Sand Dollar. BDA has a long term lease (no idea when it runs out), so BDA has full use of the dock, but Sand Dollar owners and guests primarily use BDF, which is probably a good op, but they definitely have a lesser facility there. (I think that most BDF divers go to another BDF location for their boat dives.)

When we were there, Sand Dollar and BDA were involved in a lawsuit over the dock, etc. I don't know who was suing whom.

Ron

Ron … was the restaurant operating when you were at Den Laman? It was not when we stayed there. I would go back and recommend it but not sure how the restaurant impacts the ambiance (especially late at night).

Also, thanks for the info on the dive Op. We had good luck with them but that was in Nov 2012 before things changed.

Also IIRC San Dollar lost their dive op during a Hurricane some time ago and never rebuilt it - part of the bldg and other bits are still there - sort of.
There is a new restaurant operating below Den Laman. It is quiet and there is no negative effect on guests there or at Sand Dollar that I can see.

As to BDA vs Dive Friends, it is not a simple issue. Andre, owner of BDAS, leases the dock and gear facility from the company (not Sand Dollar) that re-built everything after the total destruction by hurricane Lenny in 1999. Most condo unit owners at Sand Dollar own a share in that company. However, Andre, owner of BDA, has his own way of doing things and he created severe problems for many owners who are full time residents or are there for months at a time. Andre can and does legally ban individuals, including share owners, from his operation. He also charges more than Dive Friends, his immediate competitor. That said, he has a good operation, he is not always nasty, the gear room is spacious and boat diving is available on site.

Dive Friends tanks and gear storage are only a few steps further from their dive site than is the BDA gear storage area because entry at BDA is from the dock that sticks out into the water. BDA tanks for diving on Bari Reef are right at the shore end of the dock. Gear and tanks from the DF shop are wheeled via wagon to a staging location at the beach. Then, it is a simple protected shore dive with no serious wave action. While the gear access at BDA is easy, the gear including weights must be carried to the dock. A schlepp, and more difficult for some than using the wagons at Dive Friends. My wife and I dive with BDA because we need to use the dock for entries and exits and we get along with Andre. Others prefer DF. It has acquired a very good reputation, its tanks for other shore dives are available at a number of additional locations, they offer good rates for tanks to owners staying long term, and many guests and Sand Dollar owners are adamant about using, and very happy with, DF services instead of those of BDA. IMHO, it is good to have a choice.

BDA was being sued by the company that owns the dock, etc., for not paying the agreed upon rent. BDA lost.

If a full kitchen is a requirement, how about Coral Paradise. Check out their website and reviews, here, on TA and on Bonaire Talk. I have stayed there three times and we love it. You can stay at CP and book dive packages with Buddys, Capt Ds or I think one other. Check it outh.

we're booked for one week in april at Bamboo Bali Bonaire boutique resort
when i first laid eyes on that place i knew i want to stay there :D

Staying with Den Laman and using BDA is an easy win. Get a drive-dive package. You are on a great house reef. You are in walking distance of "Between 2 Buns". And Zhung Kong is a short drive to get Soda/etc.

Sand Dollar is nice sorta. You rent from owners. I had to comb five different time share sites to find the lowest rate I could. I talked with the owner, I got my spot. With Sand Dollar you are shopping condos, shopping car rentals, but ultimately you want to use BDA since they have the pier. Wireless can be spotty in your unit.

I think I'll be condo shopping my diving from here out, because I seem to get a better deal.

On our 1st trip to Bonaire we stayed in the new Jr. Suites at Capt. Don's. The resort has lovely gardens, a fun happy hour, ok food and nice resort staff. The rooms are comfortable with large, covered porches for lounging oceanfront. There is a small fridge and sink but no coffee maker. Access to tanks and lockers is very convenient.

For our 2nd and now, 3rd trip we chose Sand Dollar. We found them through Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 70012 - 1 BR Bonaire Condo, Lovely Oceanfront 1 BR Condo at Sand Dollar Resort and rented directly from the owner (Hi Larry!). Of all the condo buildings the one with some rentals is within steps of the 2 aforementioned dive shops and property office. General Mgr Charles Vos along with his office manager, Mercedes are extremely nice and will help with anything you need. Communication with the owner is always prompt and the financial exchange was a breeze. He will help you with whatever you need including dive recommendations. There IS a pool, restaurant and tennis courts. There is 24 hr security. If you arrive after hours the security guard will have your keys and info packet and will direct you to your unit.

We have come to appreciate the volume of marine life and quality of the reef at Sand Dollar's Bari Reef. 395 different species have been identified there. We also use BDA because we like the ease of entry/exit on the steps of the dock. The dock is in relatively shallow water and the snorkeling there is astounding. Since we couldn't dive before our fly day last October I spent nearly 2 hours snorkeling around the dock and the rocks leading up to the steps.

The condo itself is wonderful and even nicer than the pictures. It is very clean with plenty of storage and has everything we need. The bed is perfectly comfortable, a/c cools down quickly and the kitchen is fully stocked with everything we needed to prepare food. We enjoy staying in a 'home' with all of the amenities rather than 'making do' in a hotel room. We enjoy the feeling of self-sufficiency it gives us. And the WIFI worked perfectly.

This time we rented from Poppy at Telerin. Unlike AB, Telerin will have a vehicle waiting for you at the airport no matter what time you arrive and you turn it back in at the airport. Easy peasy.

If you use AB and arrive after office hours make sure you don't start your rental contract until the day you take possession of the vehicle which will be the next morning. We learned this the hard way even though AB had our flight arrival time. They never told us we would be charged for our arrival day but we would not get our vehicle until the next day.

We are only a few weeks away from our 3rd trip and just thinking about it gives me an 'Aaaaahhhh' moment!

K

Wagons? What are you talking about? They drive the tanks to the tank room. We were at Sand Dollar in Nov. and dove with DF. They have a 24 hr tank room at the water where you can grab tanks and gear up at benches, then walk down about 4 steps,then across the small beach and into the calm water. Doesn't get easier. Anyone who thinks this difficult is extremely lazy. There is also a shower there. They also have another tank room at the parking lot, and several around the island.
BDA were awful. They constantly bark at people who so much as glance sideways at their dock. So childish. Seriously? Who needs that crap. Dive with Dive Friends and be treated so well! We will always dive with DF especially while Liz is there :)

I am looking for something similar to Buddy, ie easy entry, dive shop on property, and house reef. It would also be nice if they have rental cars without too much hassle. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're looking for a place called "Every Waterfront Place on the Island."

:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom