Where to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, and Sand Dollar just got lots of brand new chairs for the common areas to replace the old broken ones. Even better! We will stay again.
Just a side note - we stayed at Buddy the last/extra night courtesy of United delay. The room was renovated and nice, (much better than last time hubby stayed), but much smaller than SD, with a tiny kitchen and no bathroom storage/limited towel racks. The patio was small too, and no screen. But the real difference was the lack of a homey feel that we had at Sand Dollar. The decor at Buddy was sparse.

A couple of weeks ago we spent a wonderful week in diving Bonaire. We booked a unit at the Playa Lechi condos(Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 489003 - 2 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean Front Condo at Playa Lechi Residences W/ Dive Locker) just north of downtown. I could not have been happier with our arrangement. Gated parking with very large, ventilated dive lockers in parking lot. Amazing views, Modern, comfortable furnishings, and comfortable beds(yes, I know I am getting older when I pay attention to the quality of bedding:wink: We booked a shore diving package with Dive Friends Bonaire. Their Yellow Submarine shop is just a few doors down from the condo. Friendly service, tank fills always at or above 3000, along with multiple locations with drive through tank pick ups.

Wagons? What are you talking about? They drive the tanks to the tank room. We were at Sand Dollar in Nov. and dove with DF. They have a 24 hr tank room at the water where you can grab tanks and gear up at benches, then walk down about 4 steps,then across the small beach and into the calm water. Doesn't get easier. Anyone who thinks this difficult is extremely lazy. There is also a shower there. They also have another tank room at the parking lot, and several around the island.
..................... :)
Wagons have been used recently by Dive Friends at Sand Dollar because normal operations have been disrupted by the ongoing installation of pipes connecting to the new municipal sewer system. The most direct route to the water has been blocked by this work necessitating a longer route between the Sand Dollar A and B buildings, instead of directly south of the A building. The work may have been completed by now as it was well on its way (at the Dive Friends location) to completion when we departed on Feb. 1.

I highly recommend Sand Dollar. I've stayed at several different places but have now stayed at SD for the past 10 yrs. The condos are ocean front/ocean view, very spacious with full kitchens, great security, safes in rooms, pool, well kept grounds, dive shop on site and Bari Reef - the best house reef on the island (IMHO). The property is spread out (takes 2-3 minutes to walk end-to-end) which is great for a morning/evening walk along the walkways beside the ocean. Vehicle rentals are available there too. It's very close to town but far enough away that you don't see the cruise ships when they're in port. And there's a great ice cream shop right out front !

Just got back from great trip - shore diving to celebrate my wife's 50th. She set us up with Beachcomber Villas - Beachcomber Villas but then I surprised her by having 3 other couples meet us so we could all stay at a big villa. Booked Villa Vista Mare via VRBO website and it was fabulous. But how to get out of the commitment to Beachcomber Villas? I contacted Leanne, the manager, and explained my surprise plans. Not only did she not complain, she helped me spring the surprise by getting the whole island in on it. She booked the rental truck, the dive package through Dive Friends, a cook to come to the villa for a birthday party, and flowers. She was so knowledgable and so cool, I went to visit her while on island. Her place at Hamlet Oasis is really nice. I would be comfortable there if it was just me and my wife and Leanne is a real gem who can take care of all the details.

Back
Top Bottom