Whew its official...South Florida Dive Party!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a fun time. Count me in.

CBulla once bubbled...
Count Kris and I there.. and ofcourse our increasingly chatty Xavier to :)

I wonder if I can find swim trunks like my little icon thingy..

I will watch Xavier for you while you two dive, we get along.

Wendy
Scuba_Jenny
Kbeck
Nike714
FLL Diver
CBulla (Colin, Kris, and Xavier)
DennisS

Wendy once bubbled...

I will watch Xavier for you while you two dive, we get along.
Want a helper? My kid is good at helping out the adults, but is not old enough to be left alone or watch little ones herself.

Hey Wendy et all...

I just checked the calendar, I have my GUE Tech 1 class in High Springs that weekend so I can't join you in person. I'll see if Andrea, my fiancee can go?

However, I'll be happy to help you make a dive plan. I have a hand drawn map on the place.

I know over 25 bugs were picked out of this site over mini season and the place is still teaming with more bugs than you'll see on the reef. The trick is catching them! You can the bugs, but you can't get them out! I'll explain more later.

The site is referred to as "Johnson Street Reef", "Hollywood Rock Pile" and I've given it a new name. Before I tell you, lets start with some trivia....

The site starts in 10 feet of water, there are woven concrete mats and a large pile of limestone boulders about 25 ft wide and strenchs off and on for over 2 miles and ends in 130ft of water. You'll be diving the first 1/3 of a mile.

What's under the mats and boulders?

--Matt

The reef was under the mat and boulders. I think there is an offical name for the mat. We have been calling it "the yellow brick road," for quite a few years, have heard it called the mattress, and a few other names. I heard it was put down to slow the wave action coming onshore and slows beach erosion...Was unaware that it went that far out. At the end of the second set, in about 20 ft of water, twice I have had a remora try to attach itself to me.

I haven't been there since before mini season. Never seen so many big bugs. I just figured they were all gone by now. Know what you mean 'bout them hard to get out.

BTW Matt- one of these days we will finally meet and dive together.

tiswango once bubbled...

What's under the mats and boulders?

--Matt

Jimmy Hoffa?

Survey says....... Errrrr (remember Family Feud?)

Beach erosion is a good guess. But to slow wave action I think it would need to run North to South with the waves. The rocks would also have to be closer to shore. Imagine the Jetties at Port Everglades, Hillsboro, and Boca inlet, they slow down the waves for boats coming and going.

I think it would be overkill for Hoffa. Perhaps Elvis, hoffa, and a few other mob business partners.

Any other guesses?

Hints:
The boulders and mats are protecting what's underneath
It runs due West
Ends in 130ft of water 2 miles away

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom