Whew its official...South Florida Dive Party!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everglades water outlet pipe or sewage pipe

Do you mean due east??

Ding...Ding....Ding...

Good Answer Scuba_Jenny: Sewage Pipe!

The city of Hollywood pumps millions of gallons of treated sewage through the pipe to 130ft of water so so the Gulf Stream can make it go away. Out of site, out of mind.

But you guys will be miles away so don't get grossed out. I just like people knowing alittle about how the environment works.

The good news is they dug a trench, placed the pipe, filled it back in and covered it with 10ft of limestone boulders. The back news is that strom surge knocked the boulders over. So they replaced all but one section with the concrete mat. They are thinging of pulling up the boulders and putting mats all the way accross. Its good your diving it now!

The mats do not lay down flat. There are 1-3 ft gaps between gaps and holes on the edges. This makes for primo bug condos. The hard part is that the bugs can be 10-15 ft from an "exit". You can see them through the mat, you can tickel them, but can you get them out in the open so you can grab them? Thats the challenge.

For the observers, theres a ton of fish in the rock piles. That's where I spend most of my time.

The rock pile is awesome. You can snorkel it, and many people have.
I did my first fish count there back in July. Going strictly by the rules, I scratched off the list a bunch I could not positively identify and still counted 35 diffferent species! That doesn't include the crabs, eels, lobsters, corals, shrimp...

Note to self: it is a lizardfish, not a sanddiver...

I REALLY hope they don't pull the rock pile!

I did notice more of the cement mat tho...

This was the last "list" I saw, forgive me if I missed someone in the posts.
Now adding self & wife to list

Wendy
Scuba_Jenny
Kbeck
Nike714
FLL Diver
CBulla (Colin, Kris, and Xavier)
DennisS
DeepSeaWolf & Maneater

:jessica:
:spaninq:

Too bad spearfishing would be too much of a hassle, but if getting TO the bugs is a problem... DSW eyes the ten foot sticks of PVC in the corner...
Hmm... folding twenty foot snare? :idea:
BRANG ON BUG KUNTRAY!!!!
:getsome:

Although I hate the way the claws get ya in the worst places...
How are the blue crabs in the area? Maybe a mixed bag of bugs? Can you take crabs by hand legally down there? We used to get them all the time here at Cedar Key. Ya just have to know how to hold them to make them let go... BY THE THROAT!!!

Crab noodling?
Pain is weakness leaving the body... or that crab claw still attached to your nostril!
:sharky:
(Ken shooting for his avatar @ 50 posts)

Can't make it the 25th. But may drive over for the boat trip if that's what happens. Wendy keep me informed if that is going to take place with a number to call and prices.

Wildbill:cop:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom