Which computers should I get ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I´m still going with the analog SPG. But the people I know who uses wireless transmitter really loves it, and find it reliable.

I find it fancy having pressure readings on the computer, but I´m just not convinced it´s worth it.

People have warned me about 2 things with wireless transmitters:

1.) If the tank falls over and strikes the transmitter on something, it could damage it and they are expensive.

2.) If you're not paying good attention, it's easy to accidentally grab & lift the tank by the transmitter like it was a handle, and that's not wise.

If you want air-integrated, you do have non-wrist options like the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 (if memory serves).

I suggest you drop by a dive shop & look at a representative of each of the major types; wrist watch style (ala Atom 2.0), wrist but bigger & not a watch (Oceanic VT3) and console (Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1).

My first dive computer was an Atom 1.0. I figured out that I wasn't going to wear something that expensive (and quick to eat batteries when kept on all the time) as a watch. Plus, it came with a plastic guard to cover it, which looked bulky and weird on it but I didn't want to put it on & off.

The Oceanic VT3 doesn't show me the time as conveniently, but it's larger, easier to read, and I don't wear it for a watch anyway. I like glancing at my wrist to check my depth.

I would seriously consider the Pro Plus 2.1 for air integration, especially since I download my dives to computer and having to write my start & end tank pressures if I want calculated SAC rate is a nuisance, and I use an analogue SPG anyway and check it often so I could just monitor depth with it.

I think it's to each their own. But you definitely want Nitrox capability.

Richard.

Thanks for your comment.

How well know is Suunto in the area ? I have seen that many of you guys have recommended Suunto computers. I see that they use the RGBM algorithm. How reliable and accurate is this method ?

Which algorithm is considered as the most accurate and reliable one nowadays ?

Thanks for your comment.

How well know is Suunto in the area ? I have seen that many of you guys have recommended Suunto computers. I see that they use the RGBM algorithm. How reliable and accurate is this method ?

Which algorithm is considered as the most accurate and reliable one nowadays?

I believe you will find this thread, analysis and chart extremely helpful courtesy of Sir Rhone Man...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

1.) If the tank falls over and strikes the transmitter on something, it could damage it and they are expensive.

2.) If you're not paying good attention, it's easy to accidentally grab & lift the tank by the transmitter like it was a handle, and that's not wise.

People should pay more attention to equipment handling and storage. If a tank were to fall or be dropped onto a console/SPG, I seriously doubt that the console/SPG can survive the incident intact.

Thanks for your comment.

Which algorithm is considered as the most accurate and reliable one nowadays ?

All of the algorithms work, or otherwise more people would have ended up dead or disabled because of decompression sickness. Neo-Haldanean, RGBM, Buhlmann, VPM, US Navy dive tables, ad nauseaum. They aren't all that different from each other. The bottom times may vary a bit, but they all work otherwise; once again, the many divers who use these algorithms would be dead or disabled.

I'd recommend the Suunto HelO2. You can use it as a wireless air integrated computer, or just as a computer for rec diving and you can use it as a Trimix/Advanced Nitrox dive computer for up to 8-gas mixes.
YouTube - Charo performs Malagueña

It is if you have a reliable one but not so good if you have one that if it losses it's connection underwater you have to surface to get a connection. That is why I went from Suunto's to the Galileo.

It is if you have a reliable one but not so good if you have one that if it losses it's connection underwater you have to surface to get a connection. That is why I went from Suunto's to the Galileo.

If you do not mind the Galileo's size it is very hard to beat. Have over 200 dives on mine (I wear on forearm)...

I purchased the Galileo Luna and aside from the price (2,000) I love it. It has all the capabilities that anyone could ask for. There is even a heart rate monitor included with this unit. I have never lossed any connections in the short time I have owned this computer. As others have mentioned on the board it is a little bulky on your wrist which you should be able to get used to.
There is even the capability to sync to another diver that has a transmitter attached to his 1st stage as well.
The price is steep but I purchased from my LDS knowing that they are authorized to sell and service the Galileo. Ask your LDS and they may have some flexibility on the pricing. My LDS packaged it with a MK25/S600 regulator package.

I know I had a few problems with the connection on my Viper 3 meaning I had to surface to re-establish the connection, but I have left them for the Galileo Luna and I must say it has been perfect. Great connection, just turn it on near the tank and it connects everytime. Never lost connection underwater. In fact, it will even connect to another divers tank underwater if you want it to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom