Which computers should I get ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Luna seems very reliable. Do you guys know if it can switch to meter and bar mode instead of ft and psi ?

You can change almost EVERYTHING.
Yes you can.
I was even looking at my dive profile while in a man made cave system a few months ago. That was cool.
Paired with another diver DURING a dive.
Changed the setting of most of my alarms, when the reserve air alarm goes etc.
The compass is a rear pleasure to work with and it still has your basic dive details on the screen while the compass is on.
The only thing that annoys me is that when an alarm goes off it turns the compass off, but then it's just one push of a button to put it back on again.

Now it comes down to the Galileo Luna and Suunto Vytec. I would need some serious research here. It will be tough. The Luna seems attractive with the compass. How accurate is the compass ?

It is faultless. It is like looking at half a normal compass. It also has on it 90 degree and 120 degree markers.
The best thing you can do is pop along to your local dive shop and look at it. Play with it. I gaurentee you will be amazed with it.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, it will also work on full tilt. not just to 40 degrees.
You wont regret it I promise you.

Now it comes down to the Galileo Luna and Suunto Vytec. I would need some serious research here. It will be tough. The Luna seems attractive with the compass. How accurate is the compass ?

Galileo Sol/Luna compass is very accurate.

We have developed an Online Class for the Sol ... tons of videos showing the Sol in action .... I guess you can use it for the Luna too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The only attribute the Vytec has over the Luna is smaller size. Otherwise, the Luna blows it away with features & benefits. As other posters indicate the compass is amazing. If you are over 40 the Luna is hard to beat. Tough call...

I actually prefer the bigger size of Galileo Luna. The tough thing is that I am not close to any Scubapro local dealer right now so I cannot pop in and take a look at it.

Another stupid question, is the Luna suitable for technical diving also ? I see that it is trimix-compatible right ?

I actually prefer the bigger size of Galileo Luna. The tough thing is that I am not close to any Scubapro local dealer right now so I cannot pop in and take a look at it.

Another stupid question, is the Luna suitable for technical diving also ? I see that it is trimix-compatible right ?

Both the Luna and Galileo have gauge mode which makes it suitable for tec diving. Both will also be able to download the long awaited trimix software although a charge is expected for the Luna I have heard.

I would still opt for the Luna as most folks never engage the heart monitor (including me)...

If I'm not mistaken the Vytec DS was discontinued in the U.S last year. I got one last year and had really hard time finding a dive shop that had one. The plus side was becuase it's a discountinued model I got a great deal on it with full warranty. I do love it as a wrist computer and although I know wireless is not DIR I find it great when I'm taking pictures, holding a flashlight etc to be able to know depth, time, no deco time and tank pressure just by turning my wrist a little bit instead of unclipping my backup with full hands.

If warranty is important to you good luck in finding one if not I'm sure the online stores will have them.

Good luck with your choice

Thanks for your info. I did not know that Vytec was discontinued. This piece of info makes me leaning toward the Luna now. It seems like a great computer.

Back
Top Bottom