Which Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All are solid choices (perhaps less so for the Zeagle), so it comes down to what you want, and what you want to spend.

I have the TransPlate harness, and love it. If I had purchased the DSS rig, I'd probably love that as well. Hog, TP or DSS, you'll enjoy the end product.

Now go get wet. :)

Maybe you would like the Apeks WTX harness. Here's the info...

http://www.apeks.co.uk/home_frameset.htm

You will need to poke around the site a bit to find the WTX harness and the Surelock System (weight pockets).

No doubt you could find it locally. Several divers at our shop use them and like 'em. I don't know for sure if the WTX would work with any plate. I think it might but I would have to look at one again to be sure. Same with the weight pockets... they might only work with the Apeks plate.

Or...

Halcyon has some very nice pockets... but they are pretty proud of 'em! The pics below show a pair of the ACB quick release pockets. These are probably 4 years old or so. The current ones might be a little different.

I'm pretty sure that they can be made to work on most plates but I would have to check that out, too.

Also... several weight pockets are available from different companies that can be placed on the cam bands or on the waistbelt. Oxy, Halcyon, and XS Scuba make 'em. They won't hold a lot of weight and they aren't the quick release type but lot's of folks use 'em.

Sorry I can't help you much with your specific question. I don't have any adjustable harnesses.

BSea:
Ok, I've decided on a Back Plate (Hammerhead SS) & a wing (Oxycheq Mach V), now I need to know which harness to use. I'm only interested in the adjustable harnesses with quick disconnects. I'm looking at:

1. Oxycheq Adjustable Harness System
  2. Deep Sea Supply Pro Fit Adjustable Harness
  3. Zeagle Deluxe Back plate Harness
  4. Dive Rite Transplate Harness

Some more for your list:

Dive Rite also has a "Delux Harness" that has a shoulder quick release option. It's a Hog rig with some bells and whistles. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml

Apeks has a new adjustable harness, part of their new WTX system. http://www.apeks.co.uk/home_frameset.htm

I don't know about the others, but DR Express will let you return anything you're not happy with. You could call them, order one or two rigs, see if you like them, and return one or both if you don't.

Maybe the other brands would do the same. It would be really helpful, if they will.

BigTuna:
Some more for your list:

Dive Rite also has a "Delux Harness" that has a shoulder quick release option. It's a Hog rig with some bells and whistles. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml

I've seen this one recommended by some pretty solid divers. I think Darlene uses this one and has said that it's as close to hog as you can get without being one piece.

I don't think it is adjustable, though.

BSea:
Ok, I've decided on a Back Plate (Hammerhead SS) & a wing (Oxycheq Mach V), now I need to know which harness to use. I'm only interested in the adjustable harnesses with quick disconnects. <snip> So any comments about any harness are welcome.
I didn't pick up on your requirements, or selection criteria. For example, mine are:

- Quick adjustability for switching between DS and WS.
- No movement on my back--period.
- Easy for a rescuer to get me out of it.
- Fast donning if I have to do a rescue.

I dive a DSS Pro-Fit harness (and plate and wing). It satisfies 1 and 2 nicely. Probably any adjustable harness would satisfy 1 and 2.

Recently, I had some eye-opening experiences in my Rescue class. That's when I added 3 and 4. When I played non-responsive victim, I found that my rescuers couldn't get me out of my rig. I sure wouldn't want a rescuer flashing a knife to cut me out, while s/he is giving me rescue breaths and towing me in 2-foot seas! I'm coming to the opinion that a Hogartian rig may have a severe safety problem in this scenario. I'd suggest viewing your selections in this light. Also consider whether the clips are easily accessible by you, yourself, in every day use, especially with cold fingers.

When I played rescuer, I found I couldn't don the rig quickly, so I always held up my rescue team. I suspect a Hog rig would shine in this area. You might consider your selections in this light, too.

Let us know what you decide. I'd especially like to know how well you think your pick fits my requirements.

BSea:
1 thing I didn't mention was that I wanted to add weight pockets for a total integrated system. I wore a weight belt for 15 years, and don't want to go back.
I use a DUI weight harness under my DSS Pro-Fit rig. No problem accessing the ditch handles.

BigTuna:
When I played rescuer, I found I couldn't don the rig quickly, so I always held up my rescue team. I suspect a Hog rig would shine in this area. You might consider your selections in this light, too.

I happen to have different experiences with regards to getting into my Hog rig. Getting into my hog rig is very easy as I don't need to make adjustments here and there. As a divemaster and dive leader, I usually am one of the last to gear up (doing roster and air check) and one of the first to jump into the water.

I started my BP+Wing setup with the DR TransPlate system and is very happy with it. But I can't say anything about other systems out there. Since I dive wetsuit only, adjustments aren't a advantage for me. Hog would be my way to go but..............just personal experiences and preference.

I think I've narrowed it to the Oxycheq & the DSS. I actually have looked at the Apex, but Aqualung is too proud of them. BTW, it does work with a backplate (although, only from what my LDS tells me. I haven't seen it set up that way.) But I'm not sure how it would look with the hammerhead BP because of the bends in the bottom of the plate.

BigTuna your 1 & 2 are exactly my 1 & 2. I have thought of the DUI, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I think you're the 1st one I've heard from that says they use it.

Thanks again to everyone responding!

wunat:
I happen to have different experiences with regards to getting into my Hog rig. Getting into my hog rig is very easy as I don't need to make adjustments here and there. As a divemaster and dive leader, I usually am one of the last to gear up (doing roster and air check) and one of the first to jump into the water.
That's what I said: "I suspect a Hog rig would shine in this area." I didn't know first hand (my rig's not a Hog), so I'm glad for your confirmation.

Could you explain how you handle the details rapidly? Isn't there just a little fumbling to locate the crotch strap, feed the buckle thru it, then close the buckle?

What's your experience (or feeling) with somebody getting you out of your Hog for a tow if you're unresponsive? How can they shrug you out of it without drowning you?

The Oxy is a nice little rig, although I'm not fond of the way he set up the shoulder straps. All the "comfort" harnesses have a split upper shoulder piece, but the Oxy's is a definite split. Not that the Ballistc Nylon that holds the two pieces together would ever fail, but it's still not webbing connected to webbing. Although the way he did it makes it sure fit nice.

The DSS rig is nice looking. I'm not too keen on the velcro in the shoulder straps (as Tobin and I have already discussed in length on another thread), but as long as you're not tearing it apart and putting it back together all the time, that shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, my only other real comment on the DSS rig is that I like rounded d-rings better, but that's a personal preference. Maybe it's this irrational fear I have of getting things caught under my fingernails....and I know, I'm wearing gloves most of the time. That's what makes it irrational.

Another setup to look at is the OMS comfort harness, although it has it's downsides, too. Lots of padding, which in my opinion just makes for a bulky shoulder area. Could be slimmed down a lot. Solid setup, though. Might be more pricey than the other two, though. I myself am getting their deluxe harness (hog with one shoulder clip) which I'll thread like a hog harness (no neck crossing for me).

As for the scary knife in the rescue thing....that's what shears are for. Of course, you should always have complete faith in your buddy, too, right? Even if they are weiding their "Scuba Sword" near your soft parts? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom